• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best More Recent Scary Movie?

Personally, scary movies have been lacking as of late. I believe they put too much effort into trying to make the special effects realistic and all that jazz and not enough into the plot. Nightmare on Elm Street scared the hell out of me when I was younger and it had next to no special effects.

I was just curious on the opinion of you guys/gals on what is your scariest more recent (2000s -ish) movie?

My personal favorite that scared the me half to death was Darkness Falls!!

Luckily for you I watched Chiller's top 13 horror films of the decade. I can't recall them all, but these are what I remember.

---
in no order....
Drag Me to Hell
Orphan
Paranormal Activity
The Ring
Hostel
The Strangers
30 Days of Night
28 days later
cloverfield

Hmm.. I remembered 9, not too bad.
--
Depending on how 'recent' you mean, I'd recommend...
drag me to hell,
let the right one it (kinda weird, very weird, a bit horror-ish at times)
EVIL DEAD!!!! <----Seriously, this is the greatest ever!

Upvote 0
Halloween 2 sucked, but the other ones he made were pretty good.

Agreed, the first remake was pretty good but the 2nd was a complete failure. I'm hoping Halloween III will be decent, but I don't have high expectations.

He's creating another movie called The Lords Of Salem, which could end up being pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to it.

The Lords of Salem (2012) - IMDb

Upvote 0
I thought [Rec] and [Rec]2 were pretty good flicks. The sequel really took it into a different direction. I've read they're working on two more movies for the series. One will be a prequel and the other to wrap up the series.

I keep finding myself falling into the "found footage" genre and really need to stop. I don't know how much more disappointment I can take.

Insidious was ok until the last act. It at least had a couple good make-you-jump moments. Only thing I couldn't understand was why Darth Maul was in it. You'd think Star Wars royalties would've kept him living comfy.

Oh and throw me in for a +1 for Rob Zombie. I keep hearing and reading about different movies he's working on but they never get off the ground. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is hilarious.

Upvote 0
Paranormal Activity really freaked me out. This movie isn't that recent but I really liked The Ring (the Japanese version, not the US version). I kept looking at the TV suspiciously for a couple of days expecting something to crawl out... :p

I know what you mean about the Japenese version of The Ring i was exactly the same, only just recently watched Paranormal activity 2 last week, and it wasnt as good as the first one really, but everybody has there own opinion dont they, cant wait for the 3rd one to come out thou :) just being curious lol

Upvote 0
Scary is such a tough thing to pinpoint, everyone is going to have their own opinion. As far as recent movies, there have been so many advances in technology that you can make a great horror movie on a low budget. Insidious was mentioned, also The Shrine and Killing Ariel (I watch a lot of netflix haha). Also don't discount the classics, the likes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead Trilogy made what horror is today.

Upvote 0
I'm really not a horror fan so I couldn't really recommend too many but I agree 'The Devils Rejects' is a great movie but not scary.

See the UK film 'Dead Mans Shoes' it will fill you with suspense, shock and terror and you can't predict the ending!

Ever seen 'Borderland'? It's a scary B movie but you'll need the subtitles for the spanish bits. I saw it was listed on the horror channel a while ago and was surprised because I didn't think the movies on there were that good!

The last horror/comedy movie I saw was 'Tucker and Dale vs Evil' which I thought was better than most.

'Wolf Creek' is worth a mention but no movie has ever been as scary as 'Alien'.

Oh yes... I forgot 'The Fourth Kind'!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones