• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Rom for Battery Life?

geli7

Dec 20, 2009
First of all I wanted to thank those that post often in these threads. I'm a relative beginner with root and all the information I find in here has been invaluable. Anyhow, I know there are threads about which roms are preferred by whomever, but I was hoping to get opinions on which rom would give me the best battery life. I got the Thunderbolt a few days ago and I find the battery to be beyond horrendous. So my primary reason for rooting would be to extend battery life.

Also, I'm not brand new to root (coming off a rooted Droid) but I am by no means an expert. I know that some like to install kernels separate from the rom for optimization purposes but I'm not all too sure how to do it. If that's the best way to get optimal battery life and it's relatively simple I'll give it a shot, otherwise I'd prefer to just go with whichever kernal comes with the rom. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!

First of all I wanted to thank those that post often in these threads. I'm a relative beginner with root and all the information I find in here has been invaluable. Anyhow, I know there are threads about which roms are preferred by whomever, but I was hoping to get opinions on which rom would give me the best battery life. I got the Thunderbolt a few days ago and I find the battery to be beyond horrendous. So my primary reason for rooting would be to extend battery life.

Also, I'm not brand new to root (coming off a rooted Droid) but I am by no means an expert. I know that some like to install kernels separate from the rom for optimization purposes but I'm not all too sure how to do it. If that's the best way to get optimal battery life and it's relatively simple I'll give it a shot, otherwise I'd prefer to just go with whichever kernal comes with the rom. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!

To be honest, the biggest battery killer on your phone is 4g and Angry Birds...stay away from those two things and it doesnt matter about your Rom/Kernel. XD

Personally, Im getting a days of moderate usage from running VirusROM Airborne sense 100% removed with Das BAMF sense removal zip and the latest Ziggy kernel overclocked at 1.5 ondemand. No extended battery. Widgets eat battery too, so if you have a ton of them on your "desktop" they will eat your battery.

Upvote 0
To be honest, the biggest battery killer on your phone is 4g and Angry Birds...stay away from those two things and it doesnt matter about your Rom/Kernel. XD

Personally, Im getting a days of moderate usage from running VirusROM Airborne sense 100% removed with Das BAMF sense removal zip and the latest Ziggy kernel overclocked at 1.5 ondemand. No extended battery. Widgets eat battery too, so if you have a ton of them on your "desktop" they will eat your battery.
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I don't know why my battery is being killed as much as it is. I took it off the charger full today, had it sitting on a table for under an hour, and the first time I checked it was half dead! When I go to the task killer maps is always on, even though I have GPS off and did not use the maps. Any advice?

When you say 4g kills the battery...what can you really do about that though? I'm guessing there's a setting to not let it use 4g, but then why even have the phone, know what I mean?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. To be honest I don't know why my battery is being killed as much as it is. I took it off the charger full today, had it sitting on a table for under an hour, and the first time I checked it was half dead! When I go to the task killer maps is always on, even though I have GPS off and did not use the maps. Any advice?

When you say 4g kills the battery...what can you really do about that though? I'm guessing there's a setting to not let it use 4g, but then why even have the phone, know what I mean?

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
The task killer could be part of your problem. Are you using Juice Defender? I would recommend that in place of any task killers.

LTE OnOFF TeamAndIRC (net.andirc.lteonfoff) :: apptly { android }
The other day 4g was down, and I got AMAZING battery life. Also, make sure that you drop your sync settings.

As far as the ROMs go, lets just be honest here, theyre all the same at the base of things. Most of its just UI. Yes there are some changes, but for the most part everyone does the same fixes.

Reactions: michaelkahl
Upvote 0
Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done
The task killer could be part of your problem. Are you using Juice Defender? I would recommend that in place of any task killers.

LTE OnOFF TeamAndIRC (net.andirc.lteonfoff) :: apptly { android }
The other day 4g was down, and I got AMAZING battery life. Also, make sure that you drop your sync settings.

As far as the ROMs go, lets just be honest here, theyre all the same at the base of things. Most of its just UI. Yes there are some changes, but for the most part everyone does the same fixes.

Interesting article, will remove and install juice defender and see what happens. Hopefully that plus the rooting will help the battery life. Thanks!

Upvote 0
There's only one correct answer to ur question and its mine. Liquid Thundersense v1.4, with Adrynalyne's kernel version A that he made for BAMF. I GUARANTEE u'll thank me tomorrow. I've flashed every available rom, mixed with a bunch of kernels. That is hands down the best combo for battery without a doubt in my mind. Turn off 4g thru the "LTE on/off" app by team Andirc (change setting in that app to cdma auto prl). Seriously, upload be amazed at the difference. Virus, bamf, Tesla, none can touch it.

Upvote 0
There's only one correct answer to ur question and its mine. Liquid Thundersense v1.4, with Adrynalyne's kernel version A that he made for BAMF. I GUARANTEE u'll thank me tomorrow. I've flashed every available rom, mixed with a bunch of kernels. That is hands down the best combo for battery without a doubt in my mind. Turn off 4g thru the "LTE on/off" app by team Andirc (change setting in that app to cdma auto prl). Seriously, upload be amazed at the difference. Virus, bamf, Tesla, none can touch it.

I approve of this lol. It gave me hope for this phone. I finally can almost make it thru the day with this combo, and I am shocked. I did enjoy The Perfect Storm, and haven't tried anything else, but this is fantastic! Thanks for the advice man!

Upvote 0

How does this compare to Das BAMF 1.6.3 with the included kernel?

Upvote 0
How does this compare to Das BAMF 1.6.3 with the included kernel?

It blows it out of the water. I like bamf, but as far as battery is concerned, there's no comparison.

I've had my display on for 21 minutes so far and I'm at 97%. Ive never come close on bamf. Granted, I'm on WiFi right now, but still. Try it. If u love good battery life, ull be in love w liquid 1.45. Nice subtle theme on it too.

Reactions: NoRegrets78
Upvote 0
It blows it out of the water. I like bamf, but as far as battery is concerned, there's no comparison.

I've had my display on for 21 minutes so far and I'm at 97%. Ive never come close on bamf. Granted, I'm on WiFi right now, but still. Try it. If u love good battery life, ull be in love w liquid 1.45. Nice subtle theme on it too.

Tried 1.5 and 1.45, both exhibiting the same issue. (multiple wipes of course between loads).

When I go into spare parts and go to restore any of the stock apps (absolutely need car home and Mail), soon as I check the box it says removing [app] but when it finishes it says installed. Reboot and the app is no where to be found. Fought with this for over an hour, went back to my stable BAMF 1.6.3 backup.

Ideas?

Upvote 0
No. But if you download kernel manager its really easy to get adrynalynes kernel and install it. The program will do it for u search kernel manager in the market, there's a free version. Go into adrynalynes tab, download the one that doesn't say OC in the description (OC is overclocked)

I installed kernel manager and there is only one Adryn kernel in there and it says its the stock kernel. Anybody have a link to the referred to kernel or more info?

GMB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones