• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Rom to Flash??

Ok I have clockwork mod 2.5 rfs do I have to flash back to stock in order to upgrade to 3.1.1? Also if I wanted to instal emerald envy to I need to upgrade my clockwork mod? It says rfs compatible but I want to be sure. Finally I read someone's comment that flashing over EC05 plus rom, wich am currently using, caused issues and they had to flash genocide kernel and I was having trouble finding that. I appriciate all your help here as I want to get it right the first time:)

Upvote 0
Ok I have clockwork mod 2.5 rfs do I have to flash back to stock in order to upgrade to 3.1.1? Also if I wanted to instal emerald envy to I need to upgrade my clockwork mod? It says rfs compatible but I want to be sure. Finally I read someone's comment that flashing over EC05 plus rom, wich am currently using, caused issues and they had to flash genocide kernel and I was having trouble finding that. I appriciate all your help here as I want to get it right the first time:)

Happy to help:) also i understand about wanting to get it right. You can flash the new cwm with your current cwm no problems. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1115999 Also i would suggest the genocide kernel regardless as it is that good. Plus now it has dual boot capabilities which is a nice new bonus feature if you like that. Here is the link to it - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961614.

Upvote 0
I noticed that it says it comes with clean kernel until genocide is updated

Ok it has been updated to urban regeneration. I am now a tester for the dev so i can give you some pretty good insight;-) you can use whatever kernel you would like too, i tested both genocide 2.0 and 1.1. It was released with 1.1 because during testing we found 2.0 to sleep lock on occasion and 1.1 didn't. Not saying 2.0 will sleep lock but it did happened during testing so he went with 1.1 for now. The new update is awesome. By far his best work to date. Smooth and fast as all i gotta say about it. And about genocide 2.0, it will run on all roms except stock ext4 that is odexed.

Upvote 0
I tried the Midnight Rom (BYOR) for a while and at first it was great, then it started boot-looping and I kept having to reflash and reinstall everything. After Reflashing 4 times in one week, I decided to try something else. It was then that I came across SRF 1.1.1. I think i'm in love (LOL). First off, I love how everything has the dark theme to it. The market looks better, it came with a black keyboard, the notification menu is darkened out, gmail, even the stock SMS app is blacked out. I also found this little lock screen changer and i'm loving the puzzle lock. Everyone that glances at my phone always ask what kind of phone it is and how I got it set up the way it is. I just smile and say that its my little secret.

Above all, the SRF is definitely one of the best. I had problems with a few earlier versions but 1.1.1 seems stable and i've yet to experience a boot-loop, unplanned reboot, or massive force close compilation. LOL

Upvote 0
I've been pretty happy with the EC05 Stock Plus ROM, but lately it has frozen up two days in a row. Getting pretty frustrated.

I've been keeping tabs on the Gingerbread ROMS but it seems there are serious issues with battery life and other functions.

Anyone know what the most stable and usable ROM is right now?

I hope Samsung comes out with the official Gingerbread ROM soon for the Epic!!!

I have also been afflicted with the dreaded SMS text bug that drops the area code so texts fail. This was known since beginning this year and Samsung still has not fixed it!!! :(

I am getting tired and impatient with Samsung support. This is an awesome phone but Samsung's lack of support is really tiresome. I used to defend Samsung, but these days I will recommend HTC because of the best customer support for their phones, bar none.

Upvote 0
I've been pretty happy with the EC05 Stock Plus ROM, but lately it has frozen up two days in a row. Getting pretty frustrated.

I've been keeping tabs on the Gingerbread ROMS but it seems there are serious issues with battery life and other functions.

Anyone know what the most stable and usable ROM is right now?

I hope Samsung comes out with the official Gingerbread ROM soon for the Epic!!!

I have also been afflicted with the dreaded SMS text bug that drops the area code so texts fail. This was known since beginning this year and Samsung still has not fixed it!!! :(

I am getting tired and impatient with Samsung support. This is an awesome phone but Samsung's lack of support is really tiresome. I used to defend Samsung, but these days I will recommend HTC because of the best customer support for their phones, bar none.

Have you tried SyndicateROM Frozen 1.2? I've been using SRF for a while now and all of their ROMs have been great and provided me good battery life. There was also a new gingerbread build leaked today, EG22, if you're possibly interested there. There's also Bamboozled 1.0 which is a gingerbread based rom off of the EF02 leak. So far it's doing well but I only recently flashed it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones