• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to root an android

Ok... First you want to be sure you are aware of the pros and cons of rooting... If anyone says there are no downsides or risks... Ignore them.

Secondly if you are sure that you want to root your device, you should be aware that the best way may be specific to a particular device... So try researching rooting methods for that device...

Upvote 0
Since you are "new at all this technology stuff" make sure you are comfortable and tech savvy to even explore the process of rooting.

You need to have time to read alot, be comfortable going forward without someone beside you to help out because if you don't know your way out of a jam, you could end up with an expensive brick.

Upvote 0
@Beth A Gaus welcome to Android Forums. :)

As the others have said (bad puns notwithstanding) rooting is specific to the make and model of phone as well as the version of Android it's running, so let's dispense with the speculation. What kind of phone do you have and what version of Android is it running? :D

I would like to ask why you feel the need to root. I haven't rooted my daily driver for several years ... there's just not that much need any more. I still root some phones I mess around with to install custom rom's or recoveries, but that's just for fun ... and I have 30+ years of technology stuff under my belt, so feel free to ask anything.

Upvote 0
No need to repeat any of the caveats already stated about rooting. Your profile indicates you've got a LG K20 plus (MP260), yes?:
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_k20_plus-8678.php
It's a pretty recent model (probably still covered by a warranty) and it's a good, solid one, not one of those budget, low-spec specials. Once rooted, keep in mind that while it does allow you a deeper level of tweaking things, you also take on all responsibility for maintenance and upgrades.

Reactions: tube517 and Rgarner
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones