• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best keyboard not gboard

Upvote 0
Hmm, OpenBoard was going to be my suggestion for a keyboard that's not linked to any of the big surveillance capitalists, mainly because it's the one I have experience with. Not sure why you can't install it, since it works fine on Android 13 and also worked on much earlier Android versions on my previous phone.

Upvote 0
Hey, I finally installed it! I'm using it right now. I guess the problem was too much space wasted by some apps. I trimmed those back and made this the one, not gboard. I got rid of the junk they had in cache and storage and rolled it back to an earlier, smaller version. If I could have, I would've uninstalled it entirely. Now I have more room in the phone, too, and it's at least as easy to use as gboard, without the spying, I hope. I think I'm gonna like OpenBoard. By the way, where is all the other stuff I posted, and the answers? The only way I found this was by tapping on that red D.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here's what ChatGPT says:

There are several alternative keyboards to Gboard, and the best one for you depends on your preferences and needs. Here are a few popular ones:

1. SwiftKey Keyboard:
    • Features: SwiftKey offers excellent predictive text and autocorrect features. It also supports swipe typing for faster input.
    • Customization: You can customize the keyboard's appearance with different themes.
  2. Fleksy:
    • Features: Fleksy is known for its speed and accuracy. It includes gestures for functions like deleting words and spacing.
    • Customization: It has a variety of colorful themes and allows you to adjust the keyboard size.
  3. Grammarly Keyboard:
    • Features: If you're looking for a keyboard that helps with grammar and spelling, Grammarly Keyboard is a good choice. It integrates grammar and spell-check features directly into your typing experience.
    • Customization: It offers some customization options, and it's designed to help you write more clearly and effectively.
  4. Chrooma Keyboard:
    • Features: Chrooma adapts its color based on the app you're using. It supports gestures, emoji suggestions, and more.
    • Customization: You can customize the keyboard's color and behavior to suit your preferences.
  5. AnySoftKeyboard:
    • Features: AnySoftKeyboard is an open-source keyboard that provides a simple and efficient typing experience. It supports multiple languages and has gesture typing.
    • Customization: Being open-source, it offers a good level of customization.
  6. Microsoft SwiftKey:
    • Features: SwiftKey, now owned by Microsoft, offers excellent predictive text and learns from your writing style across various apps.
    • Customization: It allows you to resize the keyboard and choose from different themes.
Before making a decision, it's a good idea to try a few of these keyboards to see which one suits your preferences and typing style the best. Keep in mind that personal preferences can vary, so what works well for one person might not be the best for another.

Reactions: Dave012345678910
Upvote 0
I like Yandex Keyboard. For one thing, it's had the ability to save notes into the keyboard, which you paste later. And Yandex isn't some small name, it's Russia's equivalent of America's Google.
FTFY :p

I'm sure most users in Europe (outside of the Russian Federation) use America's Google.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AOSP Keyboard still exists, but I can't make it work on specific devices. It installs, but goes into a crash loop when you try to use it. This issue seems to happen on Android GO Edition devices. Possibly a limitation of the GO part? I also can't use anything that needs screen overlays on that either.

CarKeyboard, a keyboard intended to be used with phones connected to now-obsolete Pioneer App Radios, still works, doesn't have internet and looks like the stock Android 2.3 keyboard. It is just a keyboard. Simple, no fancy stuff, no emojis. No stickers. No gimmicks. It's just that-a keyboard.

Upvote 0
I do not claim that Yandex is more popular than Google in Europe (or even in Russia specifically). I merely claim that Yandex is a European company akin to Google.

OT:

This is probably more about semantics and maybe I'm been pedantic? But I wouldn't define Russia as a European country, especially when more than half its area is in Asia. I suspect the population somewhere like Vladivostok wouldn't consider themselves European.

Would we say "Baidu is an Asian company akin to Google" or "Baidu is a Chinese company akin to Google" or how about "Yandex is a Eurasian company akin to Google"?

"American" relating to or characteristic of the United States of America, One country.
"European" relating to or characteristic of Europe. More than one country.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
This is probably more about semantics and maybe I'm been pedantic? But I wouldn't define Russia as a European country...
Why? Would you also not define Ukraine or Poland as European countries?

...especially when more than half its area is in Asia. I suspect the population somewhere like Vladivostok wouldn't consider themselves European.
Until 1962, over half of French territory was in Africa! I doubt the Arabs from the African portion of France (Algeria) would consider themselves European. Yet no one (even in 1962) would say that France is not part of Europe.

"American" relating to or characteristic of the United States of America, One country.
"European" relating to or characteristic of Europe. More than one country.
Comparisons between the US and Europe, such as mine are hardly unprecedented!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones