• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better / Faster alternative to folders?

Kind of off topic a little bit, but is it possible to create folders in the main app list? I'm not too fond of creating folders on home screens and prefer it in the big app list if possible.

Not that I know of - I posted else where app grid is like the master listing of all installed apps. While you can access them directly, I think the best model is to use folders, shortcuts on home screens.

Personally I *love* that vs. having everything mixed together. Kind of like shortcuts and toolbars vs. the start menu in Winders

Upvote 0
Funny, I was thinking about posting a "creative folder use" thread (I actually forgot I posted in this one originally).

Still using, and liking Smart Short cuts. The centralized management is pretty nice, plus custom icons.

Here's a couple of interesting folder bits:

You can put folders IN folders, including Smart Shortcut folders (SSF) into native folders).

You can put folders (at least in LP) on the dock (native or SSF).

How do I drop a file into a folder? I want to put some work docs in a folder for quick access. I have folder organizer if that matters.

I don't think the native file browser works but Astro (kind of a must have in my mind anyway) or ES File work:

Go to your home screen, long-tap, select short cut, select Astro File Manager (or ES), browser to your file, select, OK. The file will get a shortcut on your home screen that can then easily be dragged into a folder :)

Not the most direct way, but at least it's pretty simple. I had a couple of documents I was reviewing on a trip recently and I had them right in a folder on my "travel" home screen!

[edit]

ES File Explorer actually lets you create a shortcut from within the file listing, so you could probably create a whole batch of them quicker vs. the long-tap, short, select method, but either seems to work terrific!

Reactions: crupp
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones