• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big competion for the Droid coming soon to Verizon

uhhhh...no.

Apple had nothing to do with it. It was from a blog and a guy who calls himself FakeSteveJobs. I would still like to see Verizon continue to allow more Android devices. It would be HUGE for Android if Verizon took it under it's wing and let itself be known as the biggest Android network...
I know, but Apple was informed, and they supported it.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know, but Apple was informed, and they supported it.

I highly doubt that. Also why would anybody want to do this? It's playing right into Att's hands. Now they can say, "See! We told you it was all these iPhone's ****ing up our network!" It's already been published they've spent less every year since the iPhone has been released on upgrading their networks. We're trying to get the phone companies to open up their networks more, a DOS attack is the last thing that should happen.

We can debate about which phone is "better" but I'd bet the house that iphone sales will murder droid sales.

mur.... der....

Very true. What the iPhone does, it does very well. It also does multitask to a certain extent. Apple keeps that locked down to keep the phone stable. I'm sure in the next gen they'll open that up a little more. Apple is gun-shy about opening up their software and hardware. They've done it in the past and it bit them in the ass.

Upvote 0
Also had the 3GS. Jailbreaking != rooting. It changes the phone. I got the 3GS thinking that I could jailbreak it, unlike my original iPhone, where jailbreaking made it so slow that it was almost unusable.

The 3GS was definately better than the original, but it still definately boggs it down. Why would I want a slow iPhone with less apps and support than the android market (cydia?) thats not designed for multitasking or easy development?

I was admittedly impressed by Cydia, but the fact that the jailbroken part just felt like I was making sacrifices to have features the phone should have anyway, and like a quick hack (as most of the programs seemed).

I'm happy with my droid. If I wanted apple I'd buy a MBP. Sexy.

But even then I'd probably dual boot with gentoo and customize the hell outta it ).

You must not have downloaded (or known how to use) SBSettings or Kirikae for task management. No slow downs on my JB'd 3GS. Too bad JBing didn't make ATT service better :)

Upvote 0
The N1 will be the quintessential Google phone and will be marked as such. It's not encumbered by HTC's Sense UI and will carry the 1GHz Snapdragon of HTC's hardware. Rumors are speculating though that two things will initially hurt the N1 gathering steam: 1) It will only be available by invitation only; 2) It will be released onto T-Mo's network since they do non-contract data plans with GSM capability.

I personally do not believe the N1 will be the DROID-killer everyone is saying, even though one "hands-on" article says the N1 smoked the DROID in just about everything app or test they threw at it. Here's why:

1) Google made a substantial investment in developing the DROID which is why it was and currently still is the only phone yielding OS2.0. That being said, the DROID will be considered a "Google Experience" phone WITH carrier (i.e. voice plan). When HTC comes out with THEIR flagship Android phone, it will not be a "Google Experience" phone due to the Sense UI overlay. But on Verizon, it will be considered 1 of 2 Android flagship models designated: Android w/ Keyboard (DROID) and Android w/o Keyboard (HTC). If (or when) VZW obtains the Googlephone, it will be on another tier as a data phone, but that still has yet to be worked out.

2) The N1 while having a stout processor was touted as significantly faster than the DROID. People shouldn't worry too much about the stark disparity in performance. As mentioned here, ad nauseum, the Snapdragon processor is only marginally better than the OMAP processor. The stark disparity in performance experienced by that one "hands on" test comparing the N1 vs. DROID vs. 3GS, the N1 is obviously running OS2.1 and the DROID 2.0x.

As DROID owners have experienced, 2.01 introduced some noticeable speed to operation (e.g. smoother transitions, a speedier browser experience, etc.) The likely "speed" difference between N1 and DROID is likely (high probably) attributable to the improvements of OS2.1. In fact, those who are running ported 2.1 on DROIDs have reported significant speed differences, even though the OS2.1 isn't running optimally on DROID.

Google is not about to invest all that time, money and energy into developing the DROID only to hack it off at the knees with the N1. DROID will continue to be supported, considering it (and VZW marketing campaign) single-handedly put Android on the map, no offense to T-Mo Android owners.

Upvote 0
How so? Just about everything about my phone has gotten better with the update. Right now, the only problem I'm experiencing since the update is some lag with some of my 3rd party widgets. However, I think that has more to do with the apps than the OS. Overall, my experience has been quite good and I expect it only to get better with OS2.1.

Upvote 0
How so? Just about everything about my phone has gotten better with the update. Right now, the only problem I'm experiencing since the update is some lag with some of my 3rd party widgets. However, I think that has more to do with the apps than the OS. Overall, my experience has been quite good and I expect it only to get better with OS2.1.

See here:

Issue 5286 - android - Browser lags when scrolling after 2.0.1 Update on Motorola DROID - Project Hosting on Google Code

Using the stock browser, a number of websites that previously (2.0) scrolled smoothley now have very slow and choppy scrolling (2.01).

This forum, for example, worked better with 2.0.

Upvote 0
A rep at the verizon store told me early december that his boss was at a meeting and the iphone would indeed be on verizons network but not until mid year 2010. Take it for what its worth. Some 19 year old kid working in a verizon store posted by an anonymous dude but thats just what I heard. If i recall that would be around 3 years since the june att contract right? It atleast fits.

I think my time for wanting an iphone has passed though. im more interested in android at this point. Apple already lost me as a customer.

Upvote 0
1) Google made a substantial investment in developing the DROID which is why it was and currently still is the only phone yielding OS2.0.

It has nothing to do with any substantial investment and all to do with the pretty penny Verizon coughed up to have the initial exclusive rights for 2.0. and Droid.

The Droid isn't even the most advanced android phone on the market. That belongs to Samsung and the Behold II (better battery, more RAM). Trust me, there are plenty of other android handsets that can handle 2.0 with ease.

Upvote 0
IMO this thread is a bit bogus, or at least the idea that the iPhone is coming to VZW based on those quotes. VZW was merely stating that their 3G network is so awesome (see: tv-ads) that they could support iPhone 3G traffic. IMO it's just a way for VZW to get some free press about how reliable and prolific their 3G is, nothing more.

p.s. Considering the number of highly anticipated Android devices that are thought to be competitors to the DROID (passion/dragon), the title of this thread should mention the iPhone explicitly since "Big competition" may be misleading to some.

Upvote 0
Agreed, I find the rumors that iPhone is coming any time soon to Verizon rather dubious.
As far as whether iPhone (on any network) is better than Droid is entirely up to personal opinion.
For a cell phone, iPhone's run has been remarkable -2 years w/o any competition is unprecedented in a market like this, and will likely never be repeated by a single device- but it's inflexible architecture has made it a victim of evolution.
iPhone's days at the top are quickly coming to an end. It's successor may not be Droid, but there's no doubt it will be an Android-based phone.

Upvote 0
Cdma iphone this close to lte? You have to be kidding me? Spend more time reading on this forum. I find the info here more factual and with less wishful thinking then most other forums.

I dunno...LTE might not get fully rolled out with phones(voice) until sometime in 2011. Plus its not like they will shutdown CDMA phone access right away.

So since people like to buy new iphones every year anyway, I could see Verizon/Apple releasing an iphone 4.0 on CDMA or probably CDMA/GSM like the Storm/Storm2 in June of 2010(of course they will announce much sooner). They would sell a few million easy, half of which would be people coming from ATT. Then June of 2011 people can go buy the new iphone 5 LTE.

Upvote 0
So since people like to buy new iphones every year anyway, I could see Verizon/Apple releasing an iphone 4.0 on CDMA or probably CDMA/GSM like the Storm/Storm2 in June of 2010(of course they will announce much sooner). They would sell a few million easy, half of which would be people coming from ATT. Then June of 2011 people can go buy the new iphone 5 LTE.

I was thinking the same thing. There are also wild rumors about Apple & Verizon releasing a tablet. That wouldn't really be competition for the Droid because it's a bit large.

Upvote 0
I won't buy it either. Nothing is perfect, I started looking into the iphone and see if has some of the same missing features as android (try a tuesday/thursday appointment recurrance in its calendar for example) but the iphone is a close source system. I started messing with open source a few years ago and made the switch over and was amazed at how its possible to actually get things done. I found somehting I felt was missing in an app, got on the mailing list, requested that feature, listed how, if I knew C well enuogh I'd just create a table, read these two fields into it, sort them this way, etc and someone replied back with an e-mail somehting like "you mean like this" and a few lines of code. I downloaded the source, added in his code and compiled it and it worked and the author submitted it into the app.
In contrast I've submitted issues to companies with closed source like Microsoft through their premier support agreement with the company I worked for and got replies like "won't fix, don't use that feature, find a work around".
With an open OS like android if there is somehting you need/want done you can find an app that does it, request it in the official support channels, download the source and change it your self. So say I get impatient and the tuesday.thursday recurrance never gets implemented, I can go find another open source app that does do it, copy their code, paste it into androids changing any necessary variable names and submit it back.
With open source you can make the device (phone, pc, etc) work the way you want it, with closed source like Microsoft and Apple you have to change yourself to work the way the device needs.

Upvote 0
Hehe, no worries. The Devour's keyboard looks like the kind in many of Verizon's LG phones (the V, the EnV, the Voyager) and even the most evil Samsung Glyde.

The Droid's keyboard feels like one pressure plate, where the others are individual buttons. They're a lot more forgiving of my fat fingers. If a keyboard is included, you may as well make it as top-notch as the rest of the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones