• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Binge Viewing Oddities

rootabaga

Android Expert
Aug 11, 2014
Crazyville, CA
I've never binge watched anything, at least anything I've not seen before. But recently I've been burning through "Enterprise" after learning it was a prequel to Star Trek (TOS) and have really been enjoying it.

I've noticed a few side-effects and am curious if others who binge-watch things have had any.

One thing is that I have had several dreams about the show, pieces of episodes, characters from the show turning up in my dreams (not part of the show), things like that. I also find myself sometimes thinking about the episodes during the day or wondering what the characters would be like "in real life."

Yes, I see the humor in that too, of course, I'm not nuts. And with my educational background it all makes sense, I just kind of wanted to share that and see if others have had similar experiences when they binged on a program...

Reactions: shalemail
I never really got into Enterprise.
In terms of binge viewing, I burned through Breaking Bad in double quick time. I'm also an avid Game Of Thrones fan, so those episodes didn't last me long either. Maybe I should have eked it out a bit more, because I won't get another fix until 2019 :(

Upvote 0
Over the years I've binge-watched dozens of series now, and I'm old enough to recall as a kid when TV was the only option, all shows had their season premieres in early September, were broadcast once a week, and then most re-broadcasted the following Summer. Eventually VHS-Beta came along, giving us the wondrous ability to actually record our favorite shows. In a lot of households it was a common sight to see a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf full of just those tapes, all carefully labeled with barely legible writing on the show title and some vague episode identifier. It wasn't referred to as 'binge-watching' back then but being able to watch an entire series from beginning to end on those goofy VHS tapes was a really big deal. It was also a major investment in effort since shows were only broadcast maybe three times a season (original broadcast, maybe a re-run a few days later, and then in the Summer), so you had to be a) very vigilant on broadcast dates and times, and b) be sure your VHS recorder was programmed to that exact time, and in the appropriate spot on the tape so you didn't record over a previous episode. Now you just pay a fee to Netflix, or Hulu, or Amazon, or whichever and you can stream videos at a click of a button.
But getting back to binge-watching itself, can't say I'm aware of having dreams about shows I've binge-watched but I definitely feel a lot more emotionally attached to the plot and the characters. Now when I finish a series I'm more likely to actually miss it. Binge watching definitely pushes my brain into becoming a lot more engaged with a show.

P.S. If you liked Star Trek:Enterprise I'm going to suggest you take a look at The Expanse. It's a lot 'darker' as far as the whole plot, lots of political conspiracy with a mix of complex, societal class issues, but the graphics and imagery are amazing. And if you have a daughter there's a great egalitarian theme throughout the whole series, the women characters are just a smart, clever, and strong as the guys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I really don't like binge watching shows... by the time i get past 2 or 3 episodes, I start to get tired or bored.. and my enjoyment goes down.

So I don't binge watch any more... if i do love a show, I may watch an episode (or two) every night.. but thats as far as i go

Yes, I suppose it's similar with books. Much as I like a good book, I couldn't sit reading it for a huge amount of time.

Having said that, I could watch all episodes of 'The IT Crowd' back to back. That show is so funny.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
The IT Crowd is definitely a good show. I'm only familiar with the original version.

I think there only is the original version. The US pilot never got off the ground, from what I can see.

I'm not sure why, but I identify with Moss more than anyone. :eek: ;) :D

I'd recommend watching (binge, or otherwise) Humans on AMC. Katherine Parkinson (aka Jen) plays a much more serious role, but equally entertaining. :)

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
but for as much promise as it might have had, it really didn't make it.

The whole second season was a single episode, IMHO. Even the twist with the Xindi at the end was not enough to redeem it. The first season was the only one worth watching. My favorite episodes were those with the Andorians and the one where T'pol recounts her first visit to Earth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones