• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bionic family - what do you think about Nexus 7

PowerBomb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
Chicago
Mods I hope this thread doesn't have to be moved or closed. While this is asking questions about a different product, I am trying to discuss it with fellow Bionic owners.

I've got some Paypal funds sitting around and all of a sudden the Nexus 7 caught my eye the other day. I bought the lapdock for the Bionic in March when the online sales popped up but I barely find myself using it. It was almost totally garbage on 902/905, so slow and laggy. The new webtop that comes with ICS makes it a lot snappier and nicer to use, but sometimes I still find the keyboard lagging way behind if I'm trying to post on a forum or something like that. Plus, I initially thought it would be cool to have my phone turn into a laptop all-in-one, but now I feel like I'd rather have my phone free to use and a small tablet separately. I thought having the keyboard on the lapdock would make sending long texts so much easier, but this was before I even knew things like MightyText exist where I can sit at my desktop PC and send out texts using my regular keyboard anyway.

Basically the lapdock is collecting dust and the Nexus 7 looks nice but I don't want it to end up doing the same thing. Maybe the Bionic is enough by itself and I should think of other uses for my money.

I guess I also started thinking about tablets because someone gave me a Pandigital Star 7" for free and that thing is a total turd lol can't even upgrade it past 2.3, garbage resistive screen that you have to hammer with your fingers or use a stylus. I rooted it and installed Android market but hardly any apps seem compatible with it anyway.

Anyone else get a Nexus 7 or have an opinion? I also think it would be nice to have a Google device that will probably catch most Android updates a lot sooner.

*gasp* I even considered selling my Bionic plus the ~$250 I already have to spend and maybe getting a different phone rather than keeping the Bionic and adding a tablet, but putting that much money into just getting another phone doesn't seem that logical. Nothing on the current Verizon lineup seems that far ahead of the Bionic.

My wife and I both love the heck out of our N7's and now I hardly use any data on my Bionic! LOL! gotta love the larger screen and despite what the whiners say on forums about screen problems, or whatever, both our units work just FINE. The $250 I spent on each one was a steal, IMO, given how cool they are. Having Jelly Bean on the N7 is kinda nice (like when you dictate, the words appear almost immediately), making the Bionic seem a bit like yesterday's news. Everything is relative, but given everything else being equal, I like a larger screen (up to the point of the device being too heavy to hold, such as the iCant).

(and don't let anyone tell you that you can't install Flash on the N7... all you need to do is grab the APK files for Flash 11.1 and Dolphin 8.5.1. install flash first, then dolphin. The only issue I've had with it playing flash content is that it will FC if you go full screen when watching a video. for the things I watch on dolphin (news reports), i have no problem watching the video in a resizable window format)

Reactions: PowerBomb
Upvote 0
If your looking for a tablet you might want to think about a xoom. You will see from time to time the refered verizon 4g model for $200 or more common is a referbed wifi for $239. The wifi version has JB and the 3g/4g version is getting it soon.

Interesting. Now I have something else to consider.

The $250 I spent on each one was a steal, IMO, given how cool they are. Having Jelly Bean on the N7 is kinda nice (like when you dictate, the words appear almost immediately), making the Bionic seem a bit like yesterday's news. Everything is relative, but given everything else being equal, I like a larger screen (up to the point of the device being too heavy to hold, such as the iCant).

Thanks for your input. That's mostly how I expect to feel about it, $250 seems great, the larger screen appeals to me (recently I found myself wishing the Galaxy Note was available on Verizon because I wanted something larger than the Bionic), having JB will be nice and I'd expect the N7 will get system updates quickly whenever they roll out.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I'll have to do a little comparison with the XOOM now.

EDIT: Oh great, I didn't realize a Nexus 10 was in the works. Now I have multiple things to think about lol.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Now I have something else to consider.

Thanks for your input. That's mostly how I expect to feel about it, $250 seems great, the larger screen appeals to me (recently I found myself wishing the Galaxy Note was available on Verizon because I wanted something larger than the Bionic), having JB will be nice and I'd expect the N7 will get system updates quickly whenever they roll out.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I'll have to do a little comparison with the XOOM now.

EDIT: Oh great, I didn't realize a Nexus 10 was in the works. Now I have multiple things to think about lol.

I hope the Note 2 will come to Verizon (I presume that it won't). I like the screen size of the original Note and understand the follow-up device is a tad larger (rumors, of course). Since I have unlimited data, if the Note 2 does come to verizon and isn't north of $600 I just might bite the bullet and buy one outright with just one year on my Bionic (September 8 makes a year, IIRC).

I don't have to worry about being enticed by a 10" model as they are too heavy for my liking. The very first thing I noticed the day that the first iPad hit the stores, was how freaking heavy it was. I haven't changed my opinion on the weight of any 10" tablet since that first look.

Upvote 0
I hope the Note 2 will come to Verizon (I presume that it won't). I like the screen size of the original Note and understand the follow-up device is a tad larger (rumors, of course). Since I have unlimited data, if the Note 2 does come to verizon and isn't north of $600 I just might bite the bullet and buy one outright with just one year on my Bionic (September 8 makes a year, IIRC).

I don't have to worry about being enticed by a 10" model as they are too heavy for my liking. The very first thing I noticed the day that the first iPad hit the stores, was how freaking heavy it was. I haven't changed my opinion on the weight of any 10" tablet since that first look.

Yeah if the Note 2 comes to Verizon I'd be very tempted to get it.

I've been reading the different opinions about the weight of a 7 vs a 10 tablet. Kind of a hard thing to judge just by reading what others have to say, I might have to hold off and go find some of these things in an actual store to find out what I prefer.

I'm going to shut up now because I was about to type "I was reading that it's easier to handle a 7" with one hand in bed". LMAO

I have seen the N7's and I like them, except for one thing, no SD slot. I am waiting to see what the Kindle Fire 2 has in the way of an expansion slot.

I would like to get a tablet, but seems like every tablet with a good CPU has no SD slot, and those with SD slots have a so-so CPU. If a tablet has both, they sem very expensive.

Yeah I was surprised when I first saw that some of these devices don't have card slots, why skimp on something like that. Although I saw a N7 on eBay where someone was selling it with a 64gb usb stick so I guess that's one around the problem if you want to deal with plugging in a memory stick.

just a quick google found these

xoom wifi $214

3g xoom 229.95

Thanks. That is kinda tempting. A little less expensive and I like how it looks. Although I don't want to get caught up with having another Moto device that is slow to receive Android updates or can't upgrade at all. I started considering the N7 in the first place just because I've never owned one of the Nexus phones where you get the pure Google/Android experience and (supposedly) get the updates sooner than other devices. I've come across people complaining that the XOOM is really heavy too although I don't know how much it would bother me.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That is kinda tempting. A little less expensive and I like how it looks. Although I don't want to get caught up with having another Moto device that is slow to receive Android updates or can't upgrade at all. I started considering the N7 in the first place just because I've never owned one of the Nexus phones where you get the pure Google/Android experience and (supposedly) get the updates sooner than other devices. I've come across people complaining that the XOOM is really heavy too although I don't know how much it would bother me.

Just so you know, the Xoom is completely unlocked and is a Google/Android experience tablet. There is so much development for it that getting future updates past JB will not be an issue. It is heavy but it does not bother me.

Upvote 0
Just so you know, the Xoom is completely unlocked and is a Google/Android experience tablet. There is so much development for it that getting future updates past JB will not be an issue. It is heavy but it does not bother me.

I have a Wifi Xoom also, what does "being unlocked" allow me to do?

Upvote 0
Yeah I was surprised when I first saw that some of these devices don't have card slots, why skimp on something like that. Although I saw a N7 on eBay where someone was selling it with a 64gb usb stick so I guess that's one around the problem if you want to deal with plugging in a memory stick.

Well, I think I know why they skimp on the SD slot, but I don't like reasoning. It's not to save money, it's to get people on their cloud services. I do not like the cloud personally because I feel like it's a wall cloud with a tornado hidden inside. I want my data with me where I can use it at all times and I am responsible for the security of it, no one else. I very much agreee with what Steve Wozniak said in his recent criticisms of the cloud and hope a lot of people will read it and recognize it.

If Google added in an SD slot, they could count me in for the $250 version immediately. But at this point, I am waiting for a bit to see if someone else fills this void in the market.

Upvote 0

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. So I've got another piece of info to add to the decision pot. Xoom doesn't sound half bad, aside from having a Tegra 2 processor compared to the N7 with the Tegra 3 quad core.

Well, I think I know why they skimp on the SD slot, but I don't like reasoning. It's not to save money, it's to get people on their cloud services..

Good point. I'd forgotten about all that cloud business that's becoming popular lately. Yeah like you said I'd rather have all my data with me, under my control. Although as long as I can still use a USB stick I'm okay. It's not as nice as having an sd card that fits within the device, but oh well.

Well I usually like to make my online purchases on Sunday night that way things can get processed and shipped and arrive during the same week, but it looks like I'll be going to bed tonight without being totally decided.

Upvote 0
I have a Wifi Xoom also, what does "being unlocked" allow me to do?

An unlocked device means that it is full opened to development. You have complete access to every aspect of it including the bootloader which contains the kernel. This makes it very easy for Developers to create custom roms and for you to complete restore any part of it back to stock. Our bionics have locked bootloaders which tends to keep developers on another phone.

Reactions: DanDroide
Upvote 0
Bionic is my wife's phone (was mine), but I thought I'd chime in.
Preordered my N7 and absolutely love it. It's my 5th tablet and arguably the best. I still can't believe the price. It's so nice in the hand, lightweight and very ergonomic. JB is really nice, running the same ROM on my Gnex also. Development for it is increasing very quickly, and while I had some initial problems ROMing it, it's been smooth sailing since.
I'd highly recommend the 16Gig version. I got the 8Gb since I didn't think I'd need more, but I'm quickly running out of space. Give it a shot, it's a great deal.

Upvote 0
Yeah if the Note 2 comes to Verizon I'd be very tempted to get it.

I've been reading the different opinions about the weight of a 7 vs a 10 tablet. Kind of a hard thing to judge just by reading what others have to say, I might have to hold off and go find some of these things in an actual store to find out what I prefer.

I'm going to shut up now because I was about to type "I was reading that it's easier to handle a 7" with one hand in bed". LMAO

No way can I hold an iPad with one hand. I can hold the N7 (in a case) in one hand. It's not just about the weight, but it's to do with the center of gravity. The iPad is so large, that holding it on one side means you've got a lot of mass far from your hand, and that will pull it down. Think of the old game of trying to hold an EMPTY beer bottle, still, at arms length for 5 minutes. can't be done.

Upvote 0
Based on your post, it looks like you'll be better served with a 7 inch tablet. It looks like you are looking for convenience and you get that and powerful specs with the N7. You'll end up using it more than a 10 inch device, IMO. The lapdock isn't really convenient so I think you'll feel the same way about a 10 inch tablet.

If you plan on using a tablet for web surfing, youtube and casual gaming then the N7 8gb would be a great option.

However, if you plan on using it for media centric tasks, I think 16gbs would be good and should be enough with some memory management on your part.

So it really does depend on what you plan on using a tablet for. I had to skip on the N7 for my wife because she really wanted a SD card slot. I mean, she does have a ton of vids and music so I couldn't convince her to sacrifice the SD card slot. A faster processor and better screen isn't really a necessity when it comes to what most people use tablets for. The N7 would have been underappreciated with her so I couldn't let that happen. haha. :p

Upvote 0

This, OMG, this.

I am the not-very-proud owner of a Toshiba Thrive, which I bought online based on reviews and everyone saying "yes, it's a bit bigger and heavier, but you make up for it with all the full-size ports."

Turns out I don't use the ports. I don't really use the Thrive, either. I bought a leather cover for it (because the cat kept walking on it) which just made the damn thing thicker and heavier, and I therefore don't take it anywhere. There may be a weight advantage to it (Thrive plus cover) when compared to my netbook (ASUS Eee), but if there is, I can't see it, and I'd much rather have the netbook with me when I'm travelling. (Keyboard and all that.)

The point: If I'd actually seen a Thrive and played with it in the store, I never would've bought it. If I'm a tablet person at all, I need a lightweight 7-inch. (Or, if I go 10-inch, perhaps I should be looking into the Transformer. But that's my own issue.) Still, test-drive these things.

Funny thing is, I should take that same advice when it comes to phones. As much as I love the Bionic's nice big screen, the specs on this make it just a bit too big to fit comfortably in my front pants pocket (where I like keeping my phone). I'm not sure Verizon would be comfortable with my testing how its phones fit in my pocket ... but it's definitely something I want to try before I get another phone that's a few millimeters to big for me.

Upvote 0
This, OMG, this.

I am the not-very-proud owner of a Toshiba Thrive, which I bought online based on reviews and everyone saying "yes, it's a bit bigger and heavier, but you make up for it with all the full-size ports."

Turns out I don't use the ports. I don't really use the Thrive, either. I bought a leather cover for it (because the cat kept walking on it) which just made the damn thing thicker and heavier, and I therefore don't take it anywhere. There may be a weight advantage to it (Thrive plus cover) when compared to my netbook (ASUS Eee), but if there is, I can't see it, and I'd much rather have the netbook with me when I'm travelling. (Keyboard and all that.)

The point: If I'd actually seen a Thrive and played with it in the store, I never would've bought it. If I'm a tablet person at all, I need a lightweight 7-inch. (Or, if I go 10-inch, perhaps I should be looking into the Transformer. But that's my own issue.) Still, test-drive these things.

Funny thing is, I should take that same advice when it comes to phones. As much as I love the Bionic's nice big screen, the specs on this make it just a bit too big to fit comfortably in my front pants pocket (where I like keeping my phone). I'm not sure Verizon would be comfortable with my testing how its phones fit in my pocket ... but it's definitely something I want to try before I get another phone that's a few millimeters to big for me.

Really? I love my THRiVE... Wouldn't trade it for any other tablet.. Esp now with rooted ics roms. Only way I would switch is if another battery-accessible tablet came out

W/ full size sd+ports I may add.

Upvote 0
Bionic owner here with a Nexus 7 and a Toshiba Excite 10 AT305.

It's funny, at one point I was ready to ditch the Toshiba and at one point I was ready to ditch the Nexus 7, but I'm keeping 'em both.

The Nexus 7's hardware is beautifully gorgeous for its price point. The screen battery life and benchmark scores are extremely good but at the same time it's more tightly controlled in software than any other Android device I've ever owned.
For this reason I've unlocked and rooted my Nexus 7, which has loosened it up enough to suit me.
Google Wallet worked flawlessly when I used it at my local Rite Aid store.

I tend to carry the N7 daily because it has great portability and battery life and does almost the same stuff I'd be doing with the 10-inch tablet.
Don't get me wrong, my Toshiba is extremely thin and lightweight for as powerful as it is, but when it comes to carrying a tablet around on a daily basis the Nexus 7 just works for me.

So yeah, I'm digging it after a bit of fiddling.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

There's a small part of me that keeps looking at 10" tabs thinking bigger is better, but most people seem to be saying I'd probably like the N7 more and I'm thinking that is likely to be true. I'd enjoy the size of something like a Xoom for a few days before realizing that I don't like having to carry it with me or find some way to balance it in bed.

Now I'm not so much comparing products as I am just deciding do I need the N7 or nothing at all. I'm a little concerned that I can mostly take care of things between my desktop and my Bionic and maybe I'm just looking to spend money when I really shouldn't be. But if I see a good deal for an N7 I'll probably do it. I think I might be okay with the 8GB because I don't mind having to root it in order to gain the ability to read from USB flash drives for extra storage, but if I can find a 16gb at a decent price I might as well.

Upvote 0
I've got the N7 and love it. Just got the Zagg flex keyboard and now it's totally complete! I can use the N7 just as it is, but when I need to take notes or a long email I can very easily bluetooth the keyboard and off I go....seamless.

I've got the perfect set up for me......my Bionic that has worked great since day one, and an N7 that goes to the next level.

Upvote 0
I've got the N7 and love it. Just got the Zagg flex keyboard and now it's totally complete! I can use the N7 just as it is, but when I need to take notes or a long email I can very easily bluetooth the keyboard and off I go....seamless.

I've got the perfect set up for me......my Bionic that has worked great since day one, and an N7 that goes to the next level.

do u know if the keyboard is wider the KB on a 9.7" acer netbook? I never use my acer because the KB is too cramped for my large hands.

Upvote 0

do u know if the keyboard is wider the KB on a 9.7" acer netbook? I never use my acer because the KB is too cramped for my large hands (to do two-hand touch typing).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones