• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

black bars on the side of cable picture

JamesR913

Jul 24, 2010
Just got a revue yesterday but had no cable when I set it up (thanks Irene). Now that I have cable back when I turn the TV on there are black bars on the sides of the cable box picture. I did and redid the picture setup to no avail. Please help or this little black box is going back to best buy.

That would be it. SD channels are 4:3 aspect ratio. Here are some links on aspect ratios.
Widescreen-o-Rama! All About Aspect Ratios
widescreen.org - The Letterbox and Widescreen Advocacy Page

Your TV was previously stretching or cropping the picture fou you, which you could have toggled off/off. Some people, myself included, consider this to be a mortal sin as you are degrading picture quality. Google TV sends out a HD signal all the time and I don't believe there is a setting to allow stretching or cropping. You TV probably doesn't allow you to change the presentation of a HD signal. Check the TV remote. If not you are stuck watching 4:3 content as it is.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones