• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blank screen after timeout, cap. buttons lit

glekasg

Lurker
Jul 25, 2014
Hi All,

I have an LG Optimus G E970 on the AT&T network, all stock. I recently dropped it and, of course, the digitizer glass cracked. The screen still worked just fine, and I could turn it on and off without a problem but no touch at all. As I was trying to shut it down without using any buttons by just holding the power button, it started acting strangely. I would turn it off (screen timeout) by just pressing on the power button, but when I would wake it up (by again pressing the power button) the cap. buttons on the bottom would light up, but the screen would stay dark. I chalked it up to the digitizer being messed up.

I have since installed a new screen/digitizer assembly, and it works great when I turn on the phone. However, as soon as the screen goes to sleep, I get the same problem - cap. buttons light up, but the screen stays black. All the buttons are working, as I can here them clicking, and I can turn up the volume, etc, I just can't get the screen itself to light up.

Has anyone run across this problem, or have any suggestions? I've already, reluctantly, tried a hard reset, which did not solve the problem, as well as any other little fixes that I found in this and other forums. I'm thinking it's a software issue of some sort, since the screen and everything work great when the phone is on, but I don't really know. I wanted to see is there were any answers out here before I tried rooting and installing a new ROM, which might be problematic anyways if the screen doesn't come back on.

TIA,
George G.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones