• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Bluetooth Client vs Server

Cody Molisee

Lurker
Jul 28, 2021
Hey all, bit of a technical question. I have confusion on bluetooth connections.

Preface: when connecting devices for android over bluetooth you can connect as server or as client

My understand: connecting as the server essentially means that your device will be hosting the connection. Connecting as client means that you are being hosted by another device - and/or the device you are connecting to is the host.

I am trying to build an app that can connect via bluetooth and control a device. My first use case is my TV. so I want to make my app that can connect to my TV and control it as a remote. My initial thought is that the TV would act as the server. If I am connecting to another phone then I would imagine that my device would need to be the server. In most cases, if I want my app to act as a controller to send control signals to the device it connects to - is it correct to assume that my device is client or server?

Thanks in advance, CM.

What model TV do you have? Some Smart TVs do include Bluetooth support but not all.

Also, is your TV remote using Bluetooth or infrared to connect to your TV? If it's IR that might making a Bluetooth app that can control your TV a problem.

I have a Roku smart TV. I actually am not sure if it connects via IR but I will check into it. I am like 85% sure it is bluetooth.

After various attempts I think it may have something to do with the socket. Going from the developer guide the examples use RFCOMM (SPP) socket. I see in the reference library there is also L2CAP and SCO. Hopefully after I read into it more I will figure out a solution. I will post my findings back on this thread.

Any other thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones