• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bluetooth headphones not working on specific device

Have you tried installing JBL's app?
Some earbuds/headphones won't work with just trying to use the Settings >> Bluetooth menu option. They require the manufacturer's app.

If the app is installed and your headphones don't work, what phone do you have and which version of Android is it currently running?

Upvote 0
what phone do you have?
Have you tried installing JBL's app?
Some earbuds/headphones won't work with just trying to use the Settings >> Bluetooth menu option. They require the manufacturer's app.

If the app is installed and your headphones don't work, what phone do you have and which version of Android is it currently running?
I have a Nokia G21, also i use JBL Tune 710BT headphones if that helps, my phone runs Android 13. Also i have had my headphones for over 3 months and they have worked fine, but one morning they just didn't work on my phone.

Upvote 0
I have a Nokia G21, also i use JBL Tune 710BT headphones if that helps, my phone runs Android 13. Also i have had my headphones for over 3 months and they have worked fine, but one morning they just didn't work on my phone.
so have you used the app with your headphones, as suggetsed by @svim ?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
More details are typically better so yeah, phone model and headphone model make a difference -- i.e. your headphones, JBL Tune 720BT, is not listed in the About this app section in its Google Play Store page. The issue being since you didn't initially state any model involved it's all just supposition and guesswork as far as we're concerned. The missing fact that they were working OK previously on your Nokia but then just stopped is also a revelation that changes things. Please add other details you can think of that might be helpful.
Currently, it would appear to be a matter where those headphones work OK with other phones but now not with just your Nokia. So that tentatively indicates the problem is centered on your Nokia and not the headphones themselves. Given all the things you've already tried -- forgetting, resetting, etc.-- that rules out the more obvious fixes.
-- Do you have other Bluetooth headphones or earbuds? Do they work OK on your Nokia G21?
-- In case you haven't tried this already, try using Clear data in the Bluetooth app itself. This wipes the app's cache and the app's settings/config data. There could be some kind of random corrupt file in Bluetooth app's config so you need to manually wipe it. Note the Bluetooth app isn't likely to show up in your Settings >> Apps menu, you'll probably need to start it up and then at the top contextual menu icon select Show system apps (or something worded similarly, it varies by manufacturer), so the Bluetooth app is temporarily visible in the app list.
-- If the problem is due to the Bluetooth firmware on your Nokia perhaps it was triggered by some kind of system update to the Android firmware. Did your Nokia do some kind of version upgrade about the same time the problem first started to occur?
-- The following suggestion is more of a last resort option. When you enable your phone's Developer Options menu, there will likely be several options regarding Bluetooth connectivity. More specifically, I'd suggest focusing on Bluetooth codecs.
Be very judicious about what changes you make using Developer Options. Don't randomly experiment, make specific changes one at a time, and document it so you can always just go back to the default setting.

Upvote 0
More details are typically better so yeah, phone model and headphone model make a difference -- i.e. your headphones, JBL Tune 720BT, is not listed in the About this app section in its Google Play Store page. The issue being since you didn't initially state any model involved it's all just supposition and guesswork as far as we're concerned. The missing fact that they were working OK previously on your Nokia but then just stopped is also a revelation that changes things. Please add other details you can think of that might be helpful.
Currently, it would appear to be a matter where those headphones work OK with other phones but now not with just your Nokia. So that tentatively indicates the problem is centered on your Nokia and not the headphones themselves. Given all the things you've already tried -- forgetting, resetting, etc.-- that rules out the more obvious fixes.
-- Do you have other Bluetooth headphones or earbuds? Do they work OK on your Nokia G21?
-- In case you haven't tried this already, try using Clear data in the Bluetooth app itself. This wipes the app's cache and the app's settings/config data. There could be some kind of random corrupt file in Bluetooth app's config so you need to manually wipe it. Note the Bluetooth app isn't likely to show up in your Settings >> Apps menu, you'll probably need to start it up and then at the top contextual menu icon select Show system apps (or something worded similarly, it varies by manufacturer), so the Bluetooth app is temporarily visible in the app list.
-- If the problem is due to the Bluetooth firmware on your Nokia perhaps it was triggered by some kind of system update to the Android firmware. Did your Nokia do some kind of version upgrade about the same time the problem first started to occur?
-- The following suggestion is more of a last resort option. When you enable your phone's Developer Options menu, there will likely be several options regarding Bluetooth connectivity. More specifically, I'd suggest focusing on Bluetooth codecs.
Be very judicious about what changes you make using Developer Options. Don't randomly experiment, make specific changes one at a time, and document it so you can always just go back to the default setting.
it could be your headphones. have you tried other headsets and see if they work on your phone?
I tried my old headphones bluetooth headphones and they did not work. Also if i remember right i restarted my phone before going to sleep but my phone didn't say anything about an update back then. I have also tried wiping bluetooth app cache but it's greyed out so i figured i wasn't supposed to do that. I have also tried messing with the bluetooth developer options and they did not seem to work. My headphones seem to be only supporting SBC Audio Codec and nothing else. Also when i was testing do they work with TikTok it gets laggy when i try to watch videos, i don't know if that helps but i figured i'd leave it in.

Upvote 0
No but they do work on other phones. I believe the problem is with my phone and not the headphones. Also i tried other headphones and they did not work.

OK, so it does appear to be an issue with your Nokia G21. More specifically Bluetooth functionality. Have you already tried the Reset Network Settings option in your phone?
If that didn't fix the problem, when did you purchase your G21? Since it's a relatively newly release model is there any chance it's still covered by a warranty? You might want to have it looked at by a trusted service shop in case this is a hardware-related issue.

Upvote 0
OK, so it does appear to be an issue with your Nokia G21. More specifically Bluetooth functionality. Have you already tried the Reset Network Settings option in your phone?
If that didn't fix the problem, when did you purchase your G21? Since it's a relatively newly release model is there any chance it's still covered by a warranty? You might want to have it looked at by a trusted service shop in case this is a hardware-related issue.
I have resetted network settings multiple times but it didn't work. Also i don't really have time to go get it fixed so if you have any possible fixes please tell.

Upvote 0
Well at some point there are no viable software-related fixes to try. It's not a common occurrence but hardware failure issues do happen so in this matter if the Bluetooth radio chip has failed, there is no software solution, it's hardware. Since you're only providing details and things you've already tried on a limited basis I'm out of ideas (or at least time to post what are just multiple, repetitive suggestions).
Typically with a hardware related failure, that involves a full to partial tear-down of the phone. And it's not something a novice should try as an experiment. I'm not familiar with a Nokia G21 and since it's very manufacturer and model specific, this could be a big issue if you're your paying out-of-pocket. If you're lucky, the Bluetooth chip is on an easier to replace, separate daughter-board or something like a network related, accessible module (WiFi, cellular, and Bluetooth radios in their own board). Otherwise it might involve a complete replacement of the entire logic board. But this is if the matter is actually hardware related, with remains to be determined. Hopefully others will suggest a fix that does work. But if you don't have the time to drop off your phone to have it looked into, your options are to keep trying to solve this matter using software-related solutions, or accept the fact that Bluetooth audio isn't fully functional on this particular phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones