• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth transfer Address Book to Car

zion800

Lurker
Jun 5, 2010
Hi all,

My phone is having trouble transferring my contacts from the address book to the cars Nav system. Oddly enough, it worked once and never again. For some reason, it is only able to transfer 2 random contacts off of my phone, and stops there. For reference, it worked perfectly with my Blackberry and other non-Android phones.

Here is some information:
Phone: HTC Evo 4g
Software version: 1.32.651.6
Car: 2010 BMW 650i (comes with iDrive)

I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone and it hasn't behaved any differently. I noticed the phone recognizes the car as a Bluetooth Headset, which I suspect may be causing a problem. I have also tried changing the phones Bluetooth name.

When I look at my Blackberry, it says the BMW supports the following services: Handsfree, Object Push, AVRCP. The Blackberry recognizes the car to be different from a normal headset.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NO WAY THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE BMW. Before I switched to the Evo 4G, my iPhone 3GS connected and synced perfectly each and every time. I have to admit my disappointment, that such a mundane thing (Blackberry does this perfectly as well) as Bluetooth integration is several generations behind even the simple Blackberry. Are we kidding? Ugh. My phone almost always connects, but the contacts download is a joke, leaving off names and importing the phone book with the names backwards. Very frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I have a feeling we're stuck until HTC/Sprint decides to give us a modern Bluetooth stack.

Could this be due to the lack of a Handsfree profile showing up???

Upvote 0
Got some problems too with my htc wildfire running android 2.1. When synchronizing my contacts with my car (Toyota) contacts disappeared and names got weird. After trying almost everything i found out that it has to do with the contact pictures. After removing them from my contacts everything synchronized correctly.

Is there a way to solve this? or has this to do with my car's system?

Upvote 0
We all seem to be having the same problem.

I use the following:
HTC Desire HD, Android 2.2 (very similar to the EVO 4G)

Similarly I'm trying to connect to a BMW (although a bit older) 2005 E46 320I.
Similarly again my iPhone 3G (please excuse my language) worked just fine.
And again the Desire HD worked fine once but not again. I've tried the same pairing, unpairing, putting contacts on and off the phone.
(The very first time it only synced all my "Other Contacts" from Google/Gmail - very weird).

Anyway I note the thread is old but this is the most similar case to mine I've seen yet.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
We all seem to be having the same problem.

I use the following:
HTC Desire HD, Android 2.2 (very similar to the EVO 4G)

Similarly I'm trying to connect to a BMW (although a bit older) 2005 E46 320I.
Similarly again my iPhone 3G (please excuse my language) worked just fine.
And again the Desire HD worked fine once but not again. I've tried the same pairing, unpairing, putting contacts on and off the phone.
(The very first time it only synced all my "Other Contacts" from Google/Gmail - very weird).

Anyway I note the thread is old but this is the most similar case to mine I've seen yet.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Have you guys deleted the pairing from the vehicle? or just the phone?

also, while connected... menu.settings.wireless and networks.bluetooth settings , make sure discoverable is selected also click on the individual item (car headunit) and make sure the evo is connected to phone and audio

that is all i can think of to try right now

Upvote 0
Thanks Ed.

I tried a couple of things and what worked was the "Bluetooth File Transfer" application. (When in the app just click menu>more>Send contacts).

It actually worked out for the best as through all the faffing around I found out I can just call the names out in my car which I didn't know I could do before :)

(There is other advice regarding waiting for an option to come up on the phone regarding sending the contacts, but this didn't work for me).

Reactions: Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
i have just bought a 2005 BMW 730D and tried to pair my wifes HTC Desire HD with no problems at all, but the tried to do the same with my HTC Desire and can make and receive calls, but address book just says reading sim card and does nothing. Checked all our settings and all apear to be the same. Tried repairing both, mine and hers and hers always works. Not long ago i was forced into doing a factory reset on mine. Does this have something to do with it?
Anyone know whats going wrong?
thanks for any sergertions

Upvote 0
I know I'm posting in an old thread, but I have been struggling with the Bluetooth contact download to 2010 BMW 528i and finally got it to work, and so wanted to share my solution with other frustrated BMW owners. The contact download was working fine with my Droid Maxx 2. I got a new Moto Z, and the downloads stopped working. After sojourns to level 2 support at Verizon and BMW, it was confirmed that my phone was not compatible with the car's system.

I found an app on Google Play: Bluetooth Phonebook. You install it and I'm guessing it implements more protocols for contact sharing than the default phone implementation. The contact sharing, after installation, started working. It didn't even require a re-pairing.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones