• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/MODEMS/ECT for the Boost S3

Yeah I read that too I hope they can bring at least a few s5 features to our version because I watched a video of the s3 running 4.4 and the only noticeable changes are the white coloring in the status bar, the camera icon is now on the lockscreen, you get full lockscreen album art and emojis so that's pretty stale not to complain just saying for a 4.4 update I'm surprised that they even released 4.4 for the old s3 lol that's a plus

Yep. I think it's pretty cool we're getting the official update. I guess it goes to show just how popular the S3 really is and how many are out there.

I'm definitely looking forward to flashing a Kit Kat TouchWiz ROM on my phone and trying it out. I'm actually pretty stoked about it. I know Rompnit and Cnexus are going to work their magic with it and give us something that's awesome. I had read where a member posted that a MOAR update would be out in a few days. Personally, I think it'll take a little more time than a few days. They are gonna have to go completely through Kit Kat and if I'm not mistaken, that's pretty much means almost a total ROM rebuild of MOAR. I'm no Dev but I do know that is something that's gonna take time to be done properly.

I did read something I thought was interesting though. If the comment I read is true, Ting actually got the 1st OTA. I have to admit it. That surprised me.

Upvote 0
That's great news wow it just shows we have awesome developers

I'm hoping. So far isn't looking good unless you want Knox but I'm crossing my fingers. Reading on xda there are a few people working together to break it down. People have hard bricked just being impatient and trying to flash parts of the Ota. Glad I didn't try yet lol.

Upvote 0
Sad to hear, but thanks for the update!

I know you guys will figure it out it'll just take a little more time

I second that. Sad to hear but keep plugging. I'm willing to wait. I've been on liquid smooth for a bit now and if so else fails and I get bored with it I can go MOAR 9.0 for awhile

It just makes it all the more sweeter when you all finally break it open. :D

Upvote 0
MOAR sad news!!! Quoted from rompnit over at XDA...

rompnit said:
It's a sad, sad day...
So this AM while working with the ND8 update, Sammy and/or Knox unfortunately got the best of my phone; The firmware bricked my S3. :(
Because I depend so much on my phone for work, I had to move on and get an immediate replacement, so I have picked up an S5.
It's been an awesome run on the S3, with well over 50,000 downloads of MOAR since inception..
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!
This being said, you will not see the last of MOAR on the S3... My immediate focus will be bringing it to the S5 (since I don't like stock.. lol), but the code is so similar that an S3 update will follow shortly after.
Stay tuned for MOAR ;)

Upvote 0
UPDATE!!!

LOOKS LIKE CNEXUS HAS ROOTED KITKAT FOR TOUCHWIZ.

[STOCK ROM][4.4] ND8 Kitkat ROM
[STOCK ROM][4.4] ND8 Kitkat ROM - xda-developers

AFTER READING THE THREAD, IT LOOKS LIKE THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE DEODEXED VERSION. I WILL WAIT AND ADD THIS ROM TO THE OP ONCE EVERYTHING IS IN HIS THREAD IS WORKING.

PEOPLE..... IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY THIS, KNOW THAT IT WILL TRIP KNOX. I SAY AGAIN..... IT WILL TRIP KNOX!!

ALSO.... MAKE SURE YOU READ THE "MISC REQUIREMENTS" BECAUSE THE ND8 STOCK TAR MUST BE FLASHED FOR THIS ROM TO WORK.

I ASK OF YOU....PLEASE READ THE THREAD BEFORE DOING ANYTHYING!!

Upvote 0
Damn, gone all this time without having that stupid Knox crap! I don't know if I want to update to kitkat now... hmm, at the moment Cnexus makes it sound mandatory no matter what. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if anyone can bypass it.... :(

I'm with you. I'm going to wait with fingers crossed that someone will be able to crack this new update. Heck, I'm already running Kit Kat. I just wanted to try the new baseband and see how TW ran with the update. Just gotta be patient.

Upvote 0
I'm with you. I'm going to wait with fingers crossed that someone will be able to crack this new update. Heck, I'm already running Kit Kat. I just wanted to try the new baseband and see how TW ran with the update. Just gotta be patient.

Yep in right there with you I had the same bootloader since it dropped no reason to update and get that horrible knox I'm fine

Ps the Pa gapps updated to 5/3/14
I'm also running the comadose tweak over the 5/3 build of liquid smooth and this is insane

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Yep in right there with you I had the same bootloader since it dropped no reason to update and get that horrible knox I'm fine

Ps the Pa gapps updated to 5/3/14
I'm also running the comadose tweak over the 5/3 build of liquid smooth and this is insane

Awesome man. Thanks for the heads up on the PA Gapps. It's been awhile since they've been updated. I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't mentioned it. I would have kept using the ones on my SD card. :thumbup::D

Upvote 0
I'm debating, while sitting bored at work, whether or not to take it. Guess it depends on how bored I am while at home tonight. Should I wait for a boost tar or can I just use the sprint tar?

Bro, I was just over at Cnexus Kit Kat thread and someone has already bricked their damn phone because they didn't read the OP and read the thread. He didn't flash the tar. I feel bad for the guy because he totally accepts that he's the one who screwed up. He even went on to thank everyone for their help now and in the past even though he probably just bricked his phone. I can't help but feel for the guy. He got excited and skipped a vital step.

If I were Cnexus I would write that you need that tar file before anything in huge bold letters and make it step one. He has it listed under MISC. If he leaves it there and doesn't add it as step one for the flash instructions more people will brick. Mark my word. People will skip over stuff label MISC.

Upvote 0
I'm debating, while sitting bored at work, whether or not to take it. Guess it depends on how bored I am while at home tonight. Should I wait for a boost tar or can I just use the sprint tar?

That's a good question... I would think that the sprint one would work... However with how pure the Knox demands I would have to say it's a huge risk and whoever is the first one to try it should be prepared to get a replacement phone. With a few top sprint guys could not recover their phone then I would say us boosters have slightly less chance of recovering being the update is for Sprint not Boost.

Upvote 0
That's a good question... I would think that the sprint one would work... However with how pure the Knox demands I would have to say it's a huge risk and whoever is the first one to try it should be prepared to get a replacement phone. With a few top sprint guys could not recover their phone then I would say us boosters have slightly less chance of recovering being the update is for Sprint not Boost.

Seeing as our modems are interchangeable, I'd think it would be 99% safe as long as the steps are followed to the T and the baseband tar is flashed 1st.

Until it's been tested for Boost, I'm gonna leave it be. I don't have the money to run out and buy another S3. I'm not gonna mess with that 1%. LOL! :D

I'm going to hold off on adding it to the OP too until I know it's safe.

Upvote 0
Seeing as our modems are interchangeable, I'd think it would be 99% safe as long as the steps are followed to the T and the baseband tar is flashed 1st.

Until it's been tested for Boost, I'm gonna leave it be. I don't have the money to run out and buy another S3. I'm not gonna mess with that 1%. LOL! :D

I'm going to hold off on adding it to the OP too until I know it's safe.

I'll hold off until then as well. Let someone that can afford a brick test first lol. I'm not one of those guys. I don't feel like being forced to dust off my evo or evo 3d that are flashed to boost. Lol.

Upvote 0
umu2e4u3.jpg

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones