• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Working ROMS/MODS/KERNELS/MODEMS/ECT for the Boost S3

It's got tethering and hotspot. It's in the settings menu. As far as a task manager... Not sure what you mean. You have a recent apps menu by long pressing home, you can get to running apps through settings under apps... No dice on multi window but there may be a way around that. I'll look into it...
I need an actual task manager. One that lets me see the apps that want to hang on and consume memory. It's how I came to know what a hateful bloat factory the official Facebook app was. The S3's stock rom does have access to a task manager, but had no obvious way to get to it like every other Samsung phone before it. There was a google play app specifically to create that direct link that Samsung omitted. But it was still a good app because it let me see the apps that wanted to keep on hanging, how much active memory they were consuming (which gave me a lot of ammo when I was writing to skype about how bloated its official app is), and even had a one-button setup to basically kill apps and processes not being actively used. The problem is that I've yet to find a single *okp that includes this, or know of any app that can do this level of control.

Since I had discovered it, I use MultiWindow a lot more than I initially gave the feature credit for. And while I use it rarely, tethering is still an invaluable feature to have.

Upvote 0
I need an actual task manager. One that lets me see the apps that want to hang on and consume memory. It's how I came to know what a hateful bloat factory the official Facebook app was. The S3's stock rom does have access to a task manager, but had no obvious way to get to it like every other Samsung phone before it. There was a google play app specifically to create that direct link that Samsung omitted. But it was still a good app because it let me see the apps that wanted to keep on hanging, how much active memory they were consuming (which gave me a lot of ammo when I was writing to skype about how bloated its official app is), and even had a one-button setup to basically kill apps and processes not being actively used. The problem is that I've yet to find a single *okp that includes this, or know of any app that can do this level of control.

Since I had discovered it, I use MultiWindow a lot more than I initially gave the feature credit for. And while I use it rarely, tethering is still an invaluable feature to have.

Once again wifi tether works perfectly on both roms that you have mentioned... And here's for your task manager... http://bit.ly/1k8Kw7t

Upvote 0
Glad you got it fixed. Sent you several PMs in response to the one you sent me but you didn't respond to any of them.

i would like to publicly apologize to my boy biker for leaving him hanging. thanks for gettin back to me really didnt mean it bro. u seemed pretty pissed in your message sorry again.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Okay so yesterday my drivers were all messed up again and i figured ide post how i fixed them so nobody else runs into this headache. With latest samung kies, the drivers are not getting installed properly.

Steps to correct this problem
1) Uninstall samsung kies
2) Reboot system
3) Install an old version of kies - I used Kies_2.1.1.11124_17_6
4) Connect your S3
5) Old kies will install the drivers properly for your S3
6) Now with the phone connected, update kies from kies itself.

All works after that

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
seeing as cnexus stock TW KitKat roms are having issues with data and wifi i just used the stock ota.tar in his thread and rooted it my self the best method for root would be:

1) boot into download mode and odin flash the ota.tar let the phone boot and setup
2)boot back into download mode odin flash philz recovery.
3)reboot into recovery (home button+volume up+power)
4)philz has the option to root your phone do it
5)reboot and install supersu from playstore
6)install busybox from play store.
7)reboot phone
and your good to go from there any root apps u want to run should work.

Edit: i included how to get into recovery for noobs and those who forgot seeing as we've all been on custom roms so long we no longer have to use the button combo to get in its usually baked into the custom roms power menu.

Upvote 0
Well I can tell you what you will be missing if you don't take it... you will be missing the benefit of having -one- stock rom that you can't use... Yep that's just about it as of right now.

I'm okay with that lol tw annoys me it's stable and can be nice at times but it's heavy and will eat your battery alive and I can't deal with that

If you don't like tw then, at this point, I don't see a reason to take the plunge. I personally like tw and I need great picture quality. I take pics of my kids all the time and AOSP roms can't touch stock roms for camera quality. TW roms also process the pics faster so I get less blur in action. That's the main reason I like tw. I just debloat the hell out of it. Lol
Yeah I'm alright with not having it then lol I was just making sure there wasn't something I was drastically missing about the update then I would have ran it but I always come back to a asop rom I won't run tw for more than a few days

Upvote 0
i would like to publicly apologize to my boy biker for leaving him hanging. thanks for gettin back to me really didnt mean it bro. u seemed pretty pissed in your message sorry again.

It's all good. Just do me a favor. The next time you put out a plea for help, answer people when they reply to your plea. Don't wait on a PM notification. Sometimes those notifications get screwed up and don't show up on your phone. Do like I do and manually check your inbox. Especially if you have asked for help.

If you ask me for help via PM, you can best believe I'll answer it. :)

Upvote 0
Once again wifi tether works perfectly on both roms that you have mentioned... And here's for your task manager... Let me google that for you
Well, right now it doesn't seem to matter, because I've yet to find one that has been stable or really usable enough to even try any of my typical tethering. I finally did find where in the settings it was for SlimKat; however, I personally miss the kinda one-button toggle/shortcut I previously had on StaticPower v2.

So far both of the *O(K/S)P roms seem to have their own glitches and bugs. LiquidSmooth went into a perpetual crash loop with android.phone that forced me to physically unplug the battery, which kinda pushed me to hurriedly wipe and try another rom. SlimKat will constantly refuse to let any of the camera apps run. And I can now see what some people mean... TouchWiz's Camera PQ is way better than any of the AOKP's. The other big turn-off with these roms thus far is that so far none of them have any real way to even check for and/or update the PRL or profile. Or MultiWindow...

So, the skinny thus far...

1. Managed to flash PhilzTouch 6.4-whatever successfully. no problems there.
  2. Tried to clean/wipe and flash LiquidSmooth
    1. Endless KP with android.phone
    2. No task manager like TW has
    3. no way to change/update PRL/profile
    4. Battery hog
  3. Wipe/clean and flash SlimKat
    1. Still not fully stable, but at least seems to recover much more gracefully than LS did
    2. Still no task manager
    3. Still no ability to update PRL/profile
    4. No usable way of accessing the Tethering
    5. Not as much of a battery hog, but definitely drains the battery harder than even MOAR did
  4. Where do I go from here?
:thinking::(

Upvote 0
Well, right now it doesn't seem to matter, because I've yet to find one that has been stable or really usable enough to even try any of my typical tethering. I finally did find where in the settings it was for SlimKat; however, I personally miss the kinda one-button toggle/shortcut I previously had on StaticPower v2.

So far both of the *O(K/S)P roms seem to have their own glitches and bugs. LiquidSmooth went into a perpetual crash loop with android.phone that forced me to physically unplug the battery, which kinda pushed me to hurriedly wipe and try another rom. SlimKat will constantly refuse to let any of the camera apps run. And I can now see what some people mean... TouchWiz's Camera PQ is way better than any of the AOKP's. The other big turn-off with these roms thus far is that so far none of them have any real way to even check for and/or update the PRL or profile. Or MultiWindow...

So, the skinny thus far...

1. Managed to flash PhilzTouch 6.4-whatever successfully. no problems there.
  2. Tried to clean/wipe and flash LiquidSmooth
    1. Endless KP with android.phone
    2. No task manager like TW has
    3. no way to change/update PRL/profile
    4. Battery hog
  3. Wipe/clean and flash SlimKat
    1. Still not fully stable, but at least seems to recover much more gracefully than LS did
    2. Still no task manager
    3. Still no ability to update PRL/profile
    4. No usable way of accessing the Tethering
    5. Not as much of a battery hog, but definitely drains the battery harder than even MOAR did
  4. Where do I go from here?
:thinking::(

The AOSP based ROMs just aren't for some people. That's the bottom line. Seeing as you are not satisfied with the ROMs you are running, I recommend that you stay with TouchWiz.

Reactions: smith058
Upvote 0
I never really worry about a task manager with the S3 as far as closing out apps. The closest thing to me would be Greenify which will provide tangible benefit on apps like Facebook.

I don't use multi window but on LS I think that if you use HALO there is a form of it with floating windows. Also from the recent apps screen I think it shows up as an option if you long press on an app.

I haven't had any problem with tethering on AOSP roms in months. I usually put a tile on my notification screen for it.

Upvote 0
(

With liquid smooth it is an easy one press and it goes.. it is stable, I have been using it since 7 o'clock this morning non stop with out a break. I already showed you where it was but here is another screenshot so you can not miss it good luck
9a6aje2u.jpg

Upvote 0
With liquid smooth it is an easy one press and it goes.. it is stable, I have been using it since 7 o'clock this morning non stop with out a break. I already showed you where it was but here is another screenshot so you can not miss it good luck
9a6aje2u.jpg
I didn't have that button in Liquid Smooth at all. In fact, I didn't have 2/3s of those buttons you have listed. What the heck did you do?!

Upvote 0
I didn't have that button in Liquid Smooth at all. In fact, I didn't have 2/3s of those buttons you have listed. What the heck did you do?!

Its there you just gotta look for it. I understand though I couldn't figure out how to attach a picture to my text messages for a couple of days because the button wasn't where I'm used to it being

Upvote 0
Meant no Knox apps. Sorry for not being clear. Lol. I installed the deodexed rom. Then flashed the Debloat and deknox zip. Works perfect. Along with the transparent widget and the new TW kk kernel from kt.

debloat meaning no samsung apps? and i believe when i installed super su from the playstore it removed the knox apps. how would i check from the app manager in settings? or would i have to go through root explorer and check system apps folder?

i also noticed some s5 apps. could u point me in the right direction or are they all in the xda ND8 thread

Upvote 0
debloat meaning no samsung apps? and i believe when i installed super su from the playstore it removed the knox apps. how would i check from the app manager in settings? or would i have to go through root explorer and check system apps folder?

i also noticed some s5 apps. could u point me in the right direction or are they all in the xda ND8 thread

Debloat basically means to get rid of all the apps that aren't needed and just sitting there taking up space. Here's the thing..... what one user considers bloat, another user make like and use.

One of the main reasons for rooting a phone is that a person is able to remove the apps that come with the phone that you'll never use. When I 1st bought my Prevail, that was the reason I rooted. It was the only way I could get rid of the apps I'd never use that came with the stock ROM. Space on the Prevail was very limited. Getting rid of the apps that weren't needed so I could have space for apps I did need was important. Data2ext and App2SD are now available but it's still important to get rid of unneeded apps. Why have an app that you'll never use sitting there taking up space?

Of course there are many other benefits of rooting a device but debloating was the main reason I rooted to begin with.

Also, one more thing to keep in mind is that some apps cannot be removed. Removal of those apps will result in the device not functioning properly. Again, I'll use the Prevail as an example. The stock music app cannot be removed because it will break bluetooth.

Debloating is a lot of trial and error. Many times sections will have a list of "safe to remove" apps. There is a link to one of these lists posted in the ROM thread. It needs to be updated because it was made along time ago. Hopefully someone will make a new list for the stock KitKat ROM.

Here is the link to the original list of "safe to remove" apps.
http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...how-de-bloat-your-boost-mobile-galaxy-s3.html

Upvote 0
These are the apps removed with the debloat.zip from xda there are def more that can be removed but these are a start

List of Removed Apps:
-AnalogClockSimple.apk
-AnalogClockUnique.apk
-Books.apk
-ChatON_MARKET.apk
-DeepSea.apk
-DigitalClock.apk
-DigitalClock21.apk
-Drive.apk
-DropBox.apk
-DropBoxOOBEPriority4.apk
-DualClockAnalog.apk
-DualClockDigital.apk
-DualClockDigital42.apk
-Flipboard.apk
-Gmail2.apk
-GoogleSearchWidget.apk
-Hangouts.apk
-HelpHub.apk
-KNOXAgent.apk
-KnoxAttestationAgent.apk
-KNOXStore.apk
-KnoxVpnServices.apk
-LuminousDots.apk
-Magazines.apk
-MoreServices.apk
-PanningTryActually.apk
-PaperArtist.apk
-PickUpTutorial.apk
-PlayGames.apk
-PlusOne.apk
-SamsungApps.apk
-SamsungAppsUNA3.apk
-SamsungHub.apk
-SamsungHubUpdater.apk
-SamsungLink18.apk
-SamsungTTS.apk
-SamsungWidget_FavoriteApp.apk
-sCloudBackupApp.apk
-sCloudDataRelay.apk
-sCloudDataSync.apk
-sCloudSyncCalendar.apk
-sCloudSyncContacts.apk
-sCloudSyncSMemo.apk
-SimpleAlarmClock.apk
-SimpleFavoritesWidget.apk
-SimpleWidget.apk
-SMemo.apk
-SMemoProvider.apk
-SNS.apk
-SprintInstaller.apk
-SSuggest_J_DeviceOnly.apk
-S-Voice_Android_phone.apk
-Swype.apk
-WeatherWall.apk
-YahoonewsDaemon.apk
-YahoonewsWidget.apk
-YahoostockDaemon.apk
-YahoostockWidget.apk
-Youtube.apk
-Zone.apk
-All corresponding Odex files

Upvote 0
I know what debloat means just wasn't sure what apps he meant taking out. I use some Samsung apps but not all so I only applied the Knox remover. There's a list on xda and instructions on how to edit the debloatifier as he calls it to only delete the apps u dont want.

I had a feeling you pretty much knew what debloat meant. I just wanted to make sure. Also, the extra bit of info I added was for any newcomers out there who might have had any questions.

As for the specific answer to your question about the Samsung apps, I'm not sure. Hopefully one of the guys who've flashed the update and debloated can answer it for you.

I came very close to flashing the update a few nights ago. After talking with a few friends, I've decided to hold off and see if the Devs can make more progress with Knox. ;)

Upvote 0

[ND8][MK3] DeBloatifier/DeKnoxer
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2742937

[ND8][MK3] DeBloatifier/DeKnoxer

My data connection is being a bitch right now but there's a thread called Debloat and deknox tool in the general section for our phones on xda. Basically removes all Samsung and Knox apps when you flash it. It misses a couple Samsung apps but I just went in and removed those with rom toolbox lite.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones