• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Broken Charger Port on Rooted Phone

How long would I be without a phone if I swap?
Im going to go to the sprint repair store to try to get them to fix it. They cant swap it because they claim they are out of stock. I managed to turn my S-On but i cant muster enough battery to get the entire pc36img file on it. If my S-on is on, is that good enough?

Upvote 0
How long would I be without a phone if I swap?
Im going to go to the sprint repair store to try to get them to fix it. They cant swap it because they claim they are out of stock. I managed to turn my S-On but i cant muster enough battery to get the entire pc36img file on it. If my S-on is on, is that good enough?

They should be able to order one for you, and getting enough battery, i had to sit there with my thumb on the port to get it to charge

The sprint repair guys i know would not care if phone was rooted, while it voids warranty, there is no argument that this is a design flaw

Upvote 0
If the phone is dead, and the Battery Port is snapped, then why worry? They can't charge it to see if it is stock or even if they repair it shouldn't matter. If you do have to pay because it's Warranty is Void, they won't know until after it's repaird, and it is not going to the retail price of the repair bill. It may be $100+ out of pocket. Not sure how much they charge now-a-days.

Upvote 0
I had to take my EVO in to have the rear speaker replaced as it had blown. The Rep asked me if i had rooted the phone when he saw my layout, i didn't answer the root question and told him that the layout was from launcherpro. I thought that would be the end of the questioning until he pulled the battery to read the bar code on the back for a workorder. Well i had the LCARS boot animation on there and it's moderatly loud, when the phone booted and it started i thought my goose was cooked. He looks at me and askes if this is part of launcherpro also, i replied No, it's a custom boot animation. He then told me that the techs will check to see if it's rooted and if it is then they wont do any work to it because it voids the warranty. I said ok and he took it back. Now, i will admit i was slightly concerned, then i started talking to a tech guy that was moving numbers to a different phone. Asked him a few things and then he relized that it was my EVO back there and he smiled. "So that's your pimped out EVO huh?" i told him yeah and he said "i like what you have done with it" and then asked me what ROM i was using :) I told him and we chatted. Turns out he was the lead technician for that store.

Just goes to show, while the reps are fast to cover their a$$, most of the techs dont care about root. Shoot, this one wanted more info :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones