• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root build.prop Tweaks and Discussion

mavrikmeercat

Android Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2011
N.O. LA.
I've dacided to start a new thread in our forum since there are some questions rising about what this does and how to do it on the Prevail.

Please post any useful information here as to what you find so that we can learn right from our threads ..

Also, thanks to Woodrube over on XDA for scouring the internet and bringing what he found into one place. Build.Prop Tweaks - xda-developers and thanks to all who have and will contribute to any of this information

Here are the text posted by 70ne8 that I've found to be best for our prevails but feel free to experiment at your own risk..

More tweaks can be found at the XDA link above

Here are the tweaked values from my build.prop. I've highlighted the values that Ive changed.
I think these should be Prevail specific for any prevail starting at the ##BEGIN line
The values in RED are lines that already exist in your build.prop RED means I changed them...
The BLUE lines are lines that don't exist in your build.prop and I have added them...
If you want to know what they mean, go here: Build.Prop Tweaks - xda-developers

##
## BEGIN: system.prop for prevail
##
# Change priority of home/music apps
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
ro.PERCEPTIBLE_APP_ADJ=0

# RIL
ro.ril.samsung_cdma=true
ro.telephony.default_network=4
ro.telephony.call_ring.multiple=false
ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=0
ro.telephony.ril_class=samsung
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libsec-ril.so
rild.libargs=-d /dev/smd0
persist.rild.nitz_plmn=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_long_ons_3=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_0=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_1=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_2=
persist.rild.nitz_short_ons_3=
ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=BoostMobile
ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=31000
net.cdma.datalinkinterface=/dev/ttyCDMA0

# WiFi
wifi.interface=eth0
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180 was 45
ro.tether.denied=false

# Google
DEVICE_PROVISIONED=1
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
ro.com.google.networklocation=1
ro.setupwizard.enable_bypass=1

# Graphics
ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=80000000 was 20000000
ro.sf.lcd_density=160
ro.opengles.version=131072

# Network
mobiledata.interfaces=rmnet0,eth0,gprs,ppp0
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
Note: You don't need to add these 8 lines if you use 3G TurboCharger.sh By Zepplinrox.
They will already exist at the top of your build.prop
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
ro.hspda.category=10
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.catalogy=6

# Key layouts
hw.keyboards.0.devname=vino_keypad0
hw.keyboards.65538.devname=vino_headset
android.keylayout.vino-keypad=/system/usr/keylayout/vino-keypad.kl
android.keylayout.vino-headset=/system/usr/keylayout/vino-headset.kl
android.keychar.vino-keypad=/system/usr/keychars/vino-keypad.kcm.bin

# Performance settings
debug.sf.hw=1
debug.composition.type=mdp
ro.compcache.default=18
dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m was 32m
persist.sys.purgeable_assets=1
persist.sys.use_16bpp_alpha=1
persist.sys.use_dithering=1
ro.vold.umsdirtyratio=20

# JNI debugging
dalvik.vm.checkjni=false
##
## END: system.prop for prevail
##

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.config.xtra_support=true
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.rommanager.developerid=cyanogenmod
ro.url.legal=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/phone-legal.html
ro.url.legal.android_privacy=http://www.google.com/intl/%s/mobile/android/basic/privacy.html
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-google
ro.com.android.wifi-watchlist=GoogleGuest
ro.setupwizard.enterprise_mode=1
ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
ro.com.android.dataroaming=false
ro.config.ringtone=Playa.ogg
ro.config.notification_sound=regulus.ogg
ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Beep_03.ogg
ro.modversion=CyanogenMod-7.1.0-HROARK-Beta-2d
ro.setupwizard.mode=OPTIONAL
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt
ro.config.hwfeature_wakeupkey=0
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
pm.sleep_mode=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
persist.adb.notify=1
debug.performance.tuning=1
video.accelerate.he=1
ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps =8000000
ro.media.capture.maxees=8m
ro.media.capture.fast.fps =4
ro.media.capture.slow.fps=120
ro.media.capture.flashMinV=33000000
ro.media. capture.torchIntensity=40
ro.media.capture.torchIntensity=70
ro.media.panorama.defres=3264x1840
ro.media.capture.panorama.frameres=1280x720
ro.camcorder.videoModes=true

I've found it best to just edit your build.prop line for line Beause so many of us are using V6 Supercharger by Zepplinrox and the later versions actually replace your build.prop so, if you have entered these tweaks and then run the SuperCharger script, it will replace the tweaked build.prop with a new one and you will loose your settings. Trust me. I learned the hard way.

It's just best if you run/install V6 SuperCharger, and/or 3G TurboCharger, and/or KickAssKernel Tweaks FIRST. Then Edit your Build.prop via the instructions below. Note that some of the tweaks i have listed above will already exist after installing V6 SuperCharger and 3G TurboCharger. Make a note of them before you start editing build.prop. No need to add them twice and I don't know what kind of conflicts it can cause if you do. ;)

Info about certain ROMs:

CTMOD
Bloodawn has informed me that he already added a lot of these tweaks to CTMOD so look through your build.prop and add any missing ones if you like.
Thanks Blood.. By the way, Your themes are the shit!! :D

NOTE
I wouldn't recomend this if you don't know anything about what build.prop is.

Secondly, I would also suggest you read and learn before doing anything to your build.prop. (much info can be found by googling "android build.prop")

Thirdly, Make a Nandriod backup (backup from CWM) before doing anything to your build.prop. If anything happens ( eg. Bootloop) you can just restore your system the way it was before you did it.

Finally, I wouldn't suggest changing anthing that has to do with screen resolution because i've read that it can mess with your market link as to what phone it actually is..

Instructions
All ROMS (stock or modded)
1. open root explorer and go to /system and tap the mount R/W button at the top
2. longpress build.prop
3. tap open with
4. tap text editor
5. look for the lines with the red values above and change the values in your build.prop to the red values
6. the blue lines are the ones that dont exist in your build prop so add them to the bottom of your build.prop
DON'T MESS UP
7. when your done, tap menu
8. tap save changes
9. exit and reboot

It will now be your current build.prop with all the custom settings for the prevail.

Please post your findings and questions here... :D

I would like to post some of my results..

I'm running Hroarks CM7 beta 2d ROM
I installed V6 Supercharger - "Option 6-- 512 hp Balanced" w/ Die-Hard launcher
Installed 3G TurboCharger - "Option 4-- Maxed out settings"
Installed KickAssKernel Tweaks w/ IO Scheduler enabled
and added The build.prop Tweaks

I've noticed a lot less lag on the home screens, when transitioning from Home screen/app drawer/app. 3G speeds are a little faster and camera quality is a little bit better. Camcorder quality seems much brighter, almost too bright..
and my quadrent scores went up some.

Here is a before and after:

Before:
mavrikmeercat-albums-screenshots-picture4605-screenshot-1322002383760.png

After:
mavrikmeercat-albums-screenshots-picture4651-screenshot-1322283814435.png

Appreciate these build.prop tweaks. I have seen that XDA thread floating around the site, but had not read it yet. Just tested this out earlier, and noticed something interesting. Definitely have faster touch and scrolling responsiveness. 3G seems slightly faster. Though it seems my USB debugging icon is gone from my notification tab. Just have the actual USB connected icon there by it's lonesome. It seems has though the debugging feature is still active. Both are still checked in my Settings>Application>Development, just no icon ;p. Testing to see if the fact I had the phone plugged up when I did this, have something to do with it.

Upvote 0
Appreciate these build.prop tweaks. I have seen that XDA thread floating around the site, but had not read it yet. Just tested this out earlier, and noticed something interesting. Definitely have faster touch and scrolling responsiveness. 3G seems slightly faster. Though it seems my USB debugging icon is gone from my notification tab. Just have the actual USB connected icon there by it's lonesome. It seems has though the debugging feature is still active. Both are still checked in my Settings>Application>Development, just no icon ;p. Testing to see if the fact I had the phone plugged up when I did this, have something to do with it.
Are you running the supercharger script?

Upvote 0
Your right I checked and mine is the same way. I will have to look at this further and find out what line changes this. Let us know if you do.

EDIT: ok I found it!!! there is a line under ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
persist.adb.notify=0
Change the value to =1 and reboot
I will edit the op to include this...

I'm running update rooted with CTMOD2.1 which do I use the first post right?
I edited the op to be more clear as to what to add to yours. Dont use the file. just add the lines and change values manually.

Upvote 0
In root explorer right? The blue lines sorry soon many questions. I just want faster ups down and 3g
Yep sorry, i've been editing the OP the past hour so just read it again. Blood says he added some of these to his build.prop already so, you'll have to look at your build.prop and see what lines and values are there and what ones arent

the red values are changed from stock values and the blue lines are the lines to add.
IF THEY DON'T ALREADY EXIST

Upvote 0
question about power collapse

ro.ril.disable.power.collapse (said to be an ultra-low power state when phone is in idle, saving battery) so does =1 mean "yes, please disable the power collapse mode", and =0 mean "oh, please leave power collapse mode on" ?????
couldn't find much on it but from what i gathered =1 means pc off and =0 means on.. I did notice that Zepplinrox has made a battery calibrator script along with the newest V6 supercharger. when I ran the script, it added that line to build.prop as ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0 and pm.sleep_mode=1. Honestly I couldn't find any difference in battery life on my phone when testing it so, i just left it at that. let us know if you find anything different.

Upvote 0
# Network
mobiledata.interfaces=rmnet0,eth0,gprs,ppp0
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
Note: You don't need to add these 8 lines if you use 3G TurboCharger.sh By Zepplinrox.
They will already exist at the top of your build.prop
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=0
ro.hepatitis.catagory=10
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.catalogy=6

mavrikmeercat-albums-screenshots-picture4651-screenshot-1322283814435.png

I noticed this a while back but I forgot to comment on it. Shouldn't ro.hepatitis.catagory=10 instead be ro.ril.hspda.category=10? If not then I'm concerned if I have to start wearing protection to use my phone. :D
Notepad++ ftw

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones