• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Burn in bad?

Snow_Fox

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
I noticed on xda burn in can be pretty bad on N1..

so.. I was wondering how many people here noticed the same thing? I've read that even changing the notification bar to black can still result in burn in..

Note notification bar is the area that seems to get hit the worst..

This is a pretty big deal breaker, 30 minutes is nothing for smart phone users and considering the fact this phone comes with google navigation (let's face it, most places you go that you need navigation is more then 30 minutes away), and an optional car dock burn in shouldn't be an issue. I wonder if DInc guys have this same problem? I am willing to bet that you will decrease your chances to get burn in if you run at a lesser brightness setting.

Also if I notice my screen was starting to show signs of burn in I would be placing a phone call to HTC to replace it, and complaining like hell if they didn't do it for free.

Upvote 0
I will contact HTC when the time comes. I'm sure this will have to be covered by warranty.

However, at the moment the burn in does not hamper my use of the phone. I have to look for it to really notice it. I do most tasks with the phone in portrait so I rarely see the burn in in landscape. I don't want to be without my phone for five days unless I have to...

Upvote 0
I will contact HTC when the time comes. I'm sure this will have to be covered by warranty.

However, at the moment the burn in does not hamper my use of the phone. I have to look for it to really notice it. I do most tasks with the phone in portrait so I rarely see the burn in in landscape. I don't want to be without my phone for five days unless I have to...

When/if you do contact HTC let us know how it goes.

Upvote 0
If you switch to an all black status bar then you can use the screen for hours if you want. The problem is the white color doesn't move at all, causing the burn in.

For proof, notice that no other part of the screen gets the burn in, even using for hours straight. Because the pixels are constantly changing. Even better, on cyanogen you can set browser to full screen so the entire screen is constantly changing. Perfect:) or if you use launcher pro it does this too. And really since launcher pro is so good anyway, there's no reason to not use it anyway. It's smoother than the stock launcher.

Upvote 0
From most of what I've read now.. in all fairness using launcher pro will keep it from getting burn in..

And in all fairness.. the 30 minute thing was someone quoting from a manual.

And in all fairness.. yes 529$ is expensive for a phone and we should not have to worry about these issues.. (I've read htc is great about repairing them) however, you have to remember you are still adopting new technology.

Early adopters always pay some price. xbox360 RROD comes to mind, I don't think I have to explain vista. As long as images aren't sitting int he same place you should be fine.. or if your not.. htc will fix the problem.

Upvote 0
MartinS said...

The phone should have come with a warning if this half hour idea is the case.
I think under any sensible consumer law and, as I understand it, under UK consumer law, that there was no warning makes any burned-in-owners' position stronger... and as you say hopefully HTC's warranty will sort it.. if it doesn't then I guess small-claims court (quite simple, and often the threat - eg sending the party the draft paperwork - will get them to cave in..).

If it gets that far (legal action..) the interesting question is who to take action against: Assuming you bought, as I did, from Google then Google is the party you have a contract with & therefore one would need to take action against them. Legally HTC would be Google's agent I guess.

Yup, I've got burn-in too...

Ho hum, cheap tat!

Cheers!

Lodger

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones