• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

buy X or wait for LTE phone?

Eurosteve

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
Trying to decide whether to buy an X or wait for the Thunderbolt. The specs look similar except for the front facing camera and the 4G aspects. Can anyone tell me with the following side by side specs whether the Thunderbolt is really any better?

Thunderbolt: Qualcomm MSM8655 1 ghz (Snapdragon)
Droid X: TI OMAP 3630 1 ghz

Thunderbolt: 480 x 800 (WVGA)
Droid X: 480 x 854 (FWVGA)

Thunderbolt: Adreno 205 graphics chip
Droid X: PowerVR XGS 530

Thunderbolt: Super LCD
Droid X: LCD

Thanks

So, interestingly, this should mean the DX is a faster phone.

The clock speeds are the same, but the OMAP chip is generally regarded as more power efficient, and the graphics chip is definitely faster in the X.

They may be doing something with the MSM8655 chip, though. Overclocking, perhaps. There's certainly a possibility it will be faster than the X in clock speed (though not in graphics processing), though it will probably only be marginally faster.

Upvote 0
4G service is very limited right now and like was already mentioned will take a long time to really build out. IPhone...ha! ha! You know, when the IPhone first came out I thought it would be cool to have one, but couldn't stand AT&T and there coverage here was and is horrible at best. Now after having two Android phones, currently the X, I see nothing and I mean nothing the IPhone offers that would make me even think of owning one, not when we have the X and Android.

So, to answer your question, hands down I would get the X and never look back. Awesome phone!

Upvote 0
If you like to customize your phone then you can truly unleash the DX via rooting & ROMing this wolf in sheeps clothing. If not, perhaps wait it out & see if the newer offerings come less buggy.

Not all Droid X's come with pesky annoyances (like rebooting, lag, freeze ups, etc...), but mine did. Didn't take much to fix it, but it wasn't nearly this spectacular right out of the box. At least mine wasn't.

Upvote 0
Don't forget, with LTE you will pay $20 more ($50) per month for data that is capped at 5Gb. $80 is you choose the 10Gb cap. Plus $10 for each Gb you go over on either plan.
I live in Nashville, TN which is LTE live as we speak, and I'm in no hurry to pay the extra $$ for faster data.
Plus I love my X!

I hadn't seen the additional pricing for 4G access. I assume that this will be an optional add-on? If you want to access LTE speeds you can opt for an LTE plan? Or if you have an LTE phone, this is the new pricing?

Upvote 0
Don't forget, with LTE you will pay $20 more ($50) per month for data that is capped at 5Gb. $80 is you choose the 10Gb cap. Plus $10 for each Gb you go over on either plan.
I live in Nashville, TN which is LTE live as we speak, and I'm in no hurry to pay the extra $$ for faster data.
Plus I love my X!

That is not SMARTPHONE pricing. That is the current pricing for the 4G aircards

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones