• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

buying advice for Boost smartphones

flourish

Lurker
Oct 30, 2011
I've pretty much decided to switch to Boost now that my AT&T contract has ended. I'm trying to decide on a phone to buy and had a few questions for you guys.

My options are the Samsung Prevail and the Samsung Transform Ultra. I like the Ultra because it has a slideout keyboard, but the Prevail has a nicer pricepoint. Does anyone have any input on either of these? I want a basic Android phone that will play nicely with Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and Grooveshark and that's about it. I've got a few questions too.

1. Can each phone support Flash? I'd like to be able to run turntable.fm's site in the browser (skyfire, probably, since it supports Flash). Anybody tried that specific site?

2. Is the Prevail upgradeable to Android 2.3?
3. Can these phones be rooted for wireless tethering?
4. What's considered reasonable data usage? I can't find any specific numbers anywhere online.

5. how is customer service and support? Good? Bad? Meh?

Thanks!

1. Can each phone support Flash? I'd like to be able to run turntable.fm's site in the browser (skyfire, probably, since it supports Flash). Anybody tried that specific site?
-Flash works on all the above phones. However with the Prevail you will have to use a modified 10.2 version that is the Prevail forums here.

2. Is the Prevail upgradeable to Android 2.3?
-Yes Samsung/Boost just starting sending out an OTA update from Froyo 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.3 yesterday for the Prevail.

3. Can these phones be rooted for wireless tethering?
-Yes Both the Prevail and Ultra have this already, should be available in the newest phone the Warp as well.

4. What's considered reasonable data usage? I can't find any specific numbers anywhere online.
-Boost is pretty lenient on data usage, though you might want to stay under 5GB a month to be on the safe side. They can cancel your account at will. Though there are people that seem to be able to use much more just fine.

5. how is customer service and support? Good? Bad? Meh?
-Good usually in person at certain retailers. Over phone can go be hit or miss...basically Meh depending on who you get. It's on par with most carriers from my experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones