• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bye Bye Connect

I'm just waiting on my return to grab mine. And this phone does suck, I thought after almost a year of having this phone we'd have had some sort of progress in ROM development other than just cooked up zv's. I was hoping when I bought the phone that because it was a higher grade phone we'd have all sorts of goodies, shows what I know..

Upvote 0
I said it before and I'll say it again. The connect is/was not worth the $350.00. I regret getting this phone. ��

I don't think it was worth that much, either. That's why I bought mine when it went on sale for $250. Still, a bit steep for something with Gingerbread but still not a bad purchase IMO. Aside from the battery consumption issues and crappy ZVA issues the phone has been solid...

I'm kinda bummed that the Esteem is almost the same rank as Connect and got way more love than our phones LOL... It's all good tho. Anybody remember the Optimus M before a root was found? Now, THAT phone was terrible :D Love it now that I'm rocking CM7!

Upvote 0
Ungrateful is what u guys are I like my connect

Those are pretty strong words there sir. I'm plenty grateful, I'm grateful that I wake up every morning, I'm grateful that my children are healthy, I'm grateful I have a good paying job in this eff'd up economy. But when I drop $350 on a phone I expect it to last longer 2hrs without having to charge it, I expect it not to reach a temperature of 140 degrees, I expect that I shouldn't have to tweek the crap outta it so it'll run properly. So forgive me for voicing my unhappiness in my purchase of this device. And I also seriously regret buying this phone, I should've bought the esteem like I planned, at least they have some solid development going on over there where as this device seems to just have some big talkers and devs that are devoted to other projects mainly.

Upvote 0
Those are pretty strong words there sir. I'm plenty grateful, I'm grateful that I wake up every morning, I'm grateful that my children are healthy, I'm grateful I have a good paying job in this eff'd up economy. But when I drop $350 on a phone I expect it to last longer 2hrs without having to charge it, I expect it not to reach a temperature of 140 degrees, I expect that I shouldn't have to tweek the crap outta it so it'll run properly. So forgive me for voicing my unhappiness in my purchase of this device. And I also seriously regret buying this phone, I should've bought the esteem like I planned, at least they have some solid development going on over there where as this device seems to just have some big talkers and devs that are devoted to other projects mainly.

Well said. I for one did not like to have to tweak and tweak, for those that enjoy that, it's okay. I, however did not expect to have to do this. I brought the connect even before any dev work. I thank the devs for All their hard work, trying to make this a boss phone. The reality is that it cot more than it is worth. Look at the LG Motion, half the price and runs better unrooted than the connect.

Upvote 0
I am coming from a Samsung Galaxy Indulge, so even at the absolute worst my Connect runs circles around that POS. With stock battery I didn't have the battery issues or overheating that some people complained about. And this was with a debloated stock. Currently I am using a unofficially compatable OEM LG battery, the BL-44JS, I generally get about 10~12hrs of use with that. I am a heavy internet surfer, and texter, with some phone calling. I try to keep background apps to a minimum. I applied some general tricks at getting the most from my battery from the indulge, however on the Connect I am a bit more lax as I have found this phone to be way more capable at lasting.

Also, concerning the failed promise of Ice Cream Sandwich... from my understanding LG was working on it for our phone, but MetroPCS put the kibosh on that. Not sure the exact reason why they did that; I speculate that it was because it would make MetroPCS more money if you ran out and bought a shiney new phone with ICS. I also suspect, the very same thing will happen with the Spirit and even the Motion concerning Jelly Bean. ICS is technically a generation behind now since Jelly Bean is out. When the Connect came out GingerBread was a step/generation behind as ICS was released. (Excluding HoneyComb, as that was a tablet only OS, with ICS they merged tablet and phone)

Upvote 0
Ungrateful is what u guys are I like my connect
We do appreciate the devs that actually work on the phone. Seriously, this phone has too many problems. I was the first person in GA to have this phone. Since day 1, this phone had overheated, super battery drainer, and you have to tweak it like crazy to even use it normal. I gave this phone a chance to redeem itself but it has been almost a year with no type of progress to ics. If u still love your phone, its cause you don't want to hurt your ego. Upgrade to the spirit n you'll be like "Connect is a joke"

I stand behind you! Other note, the Esteem suck also. My bro has that n I flash all different roms for it and it still lag like crazy.

Upvote 0
I just went and bought the LG Spirit for my mom who will never ever use 1% of what the phone can do lmmfao!! but she wanted a phone with a big screen. So I told her the best phone they have right now is the Spirit and we got it :) I set it up for her and MAN!!! That phone is FK'n BAD ASS!!! Very smooth and fast, I didnt mess with it to long because once I got the basics setup she was GONE... lol!! I told her if she ever thought it was to much phone for her that I would gladly buy it from her hahaha!! I am a 31yr old jealous kid right now lol!! the screen on that phone is freakin sick (in a good way) top notch ppl, Im hoping the Connect gets the boot very soon (which it is) and my phone takes a crap so I can get the Spirit the same way I got my Connect lol!

Upvote 0
IMHO, before the Motion came out, I was thinking about getting this phone. Glad I didn't. LG seems to have failed with the Connect, Lucid, and Viper.

And if LG did make an ICS upgrade, it would have a locked bootloader, which I'm sure you could fix by doing what the spectrum users have done, although the Lucid users are having trouble doing that themselves.

The price for the phone still isn't right. LG connect is $349, for that money you may as well buy the S3 for about $150 more dollars.

Upvote 0
The price for the phone still isn't right. LG connect is $349, for that money you may as well buy the S3 for about $150 more dollars.
Yeah my friend that runs he store said the reason the price is still at $349 is because they are trying to get what they can from it before they knock it off the line-up. I asked if it was for sure being discontinued and he said "yes" so im sure it will be very soon that it will just disappear, now im just thinking about what will be the replacement phone from the insurance:questionmark::questionmark: :hmmmm2:

Upvote 0
LG seems to have failed with the Connect, Lucid, and Viper.

And if LG did make an ICS upgrade, it would have a locked bootloader, which I'm sure you could fix by doing what the spectrum users have done, although the Lucid users are having trouble doing that themselves.

Exactly the reason why this is my second and last garbage phone from LG. My wife has the Motion, which so far has been great aside from Metro pushing the E upgrade which really screwed things up for me. All that is needed is a way to unlock the ICS bootloader and they won't budge on it no matter how many emails you send them. I'm sure LG and/or Metro will find some way to destroy the Spirit 4G soon enough, give it time.

I bought my Connect primarily to watch my anime on it :D While running ZV9 out of the box it played everything perfectly. Now with ZVA upgrade it lags, the whole system lags and force closes crap, loses apps, even with every kernel and ROM (#2, Blitz, or Plague) and I can't get ZV9 back to see if that would fix this. I think I'm going to buy the ZTE Avid. It's bootloader is unlocked and it's been rooted already which is all I need...

Upvote 0
Spirit = locked bootloader which = no real development is going to happen. If you are lucky some will find/build a bootstrap/2ndinit recovery for it and maybe, maybe CM10 or a few cooked ROMs. If you thought the Connect had sucky development, well you just bought worse in that aspect.

I agree the Connect isnt worth no where near $360, esp with its sucky stock fireware, but it is unlocked and is quite capable of doing more and have a 100x better display than the motion.

The Esteem isnt worth what they want for it either. For $350 you can buy a Nexus. lol

Upvote 0
Spirit = locked bootloader which = no real development is going to happen. If you are lucky some will find/build a bootstrap/2ndinit recovery for it and maybe, maybe CM10 or a few cooked ROMs. If you thought the Connect had sucky development, well you just bought worse in that aspect.

I agree the Connect isnt worth no where near $360, esp with its sucky stock fireware, but it is unlocked and is quite capable of doing more and have a 100x better display than the motion.

The Esteem isnt worth what they want for it either. For $350 you can buy a Nexus. lol

Already got bootstrap.the one from the motion is working :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones