• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root C-ROM Version 1.0 Beta 2 - Gingerbread GREATNESS

This has been my rom of choice for a while now. The battery life for me has been great (though not quite as long as some users). Just wanted to mention, the AdBlock is great on this rom (one of many reasons I adore it so) but with the new Words with Friends game ported to Android, the ads aren't block. And some are pretty intrusive. All other ads, even from Apps (like Angry Birds) are blocked just fine. Just wanted to let the Dev know. Keep up the great work.

Upvote 0
Hey, Dew - just reporting in after three heavy days of using CROM Beta 2 -- first, LOVE the ROM, LOVE the features and apps that you hand-chose to include, and I can't WAIT to use it for full-time, everyday production. I had just as good of battery life on CROM-b2 as I did on Charity 11.2 -- which is to say it's AWESOME. Can go a whole day (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.) with casual to medium usage and still only lose about half the battery. Gingerbread has so many little tweaks and "nice-to-have's" in the standard UI and bundled apps, that it's turning out to be (IMHO) one of the most kick-ass upgrades to the Android OS.

Now, for the not-so-good. Simply put, I had MAJOR multitasking issues with CROM-b2. I would fire up Screebl Pro, and tell it to start up upon phone reboot, and yet it quit just a few minutes into running every time. Same thing with Scrabble Helper, and Quick Settings, which are also constant-run background apps. Nearly every morning, I run the Endomondo sports tracker (using GPS to figure mileage, calories, etc.) and either the music app or a Bible reader app (reading passages out loud) side by side -- none of these combos worked when tried together. Either the sports tracker, or the music or Bible app force-quit, or sometimes both. I haven't installed anything new or out of the ordinary from my Charity 11.2 setup -- I used the same app selection and system setup on CROM that I use on Charity. I have no explanation for what could possibly be wrong, but my opinions would not be helpful in that arena anyway -- figured YOU would need to have feedback like this, though. (FWIW, I also still had some choppy video even with beta 2, but there was no discernable pattern -- sometimes it was choppy, sometimes not.)

With a very heavy heart, I uninstalled CROM-b2 during the last hour and reinstalled the latest nandroid backup of my most recent Charity 11.2 ROM setup. As I said, I LOVE CROM, and want badly to use it permanently, but there are too many mission-critical personal AND work uses for my MotoDroid for me to rely on a beta ROM right now. I will certainly revisit when/if you release additional upgraded versions of CROM -- you're certainly on the right track, and I think this will turn out to be an even bigger success than Charity ROM... :)

Upvote 0
Hey, Dew - just reporting in after three heavy days of using CROM Beta 2 -- first, LOVE the ROM, LOVE the features and apps that you hand-chose to include, and I can't WAIT to use it for full-time, everyday production. I had just as good of battery life on CROM-b2 as I did on Charity 11.2 -- which is to say it's AWESOME. Can go a whole day (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.) with casual to medium usage and still only lose about half the battery. Gingerbread has so many little tweaks and "nice-to-have's" in the standard UI and bundled apps, that it's turning out to be (IMHO) one of the most kick-ass upgrades to the Android OS.

Now, for the not-so-good. Simply put, I had MAJOR multitasking issues with CROM-b2. I would fire up Screebl Pro, and tell it to start up upon phone reboot, and yet it quit just a few minutes into running every time. Same thing with Scrabble Helper, and Quick Settings, which are also constant-run background apps. Nearly every morning, I run the Endomondo sports tracker (using GPS to figure mileage, calories, etc.) and either the music app or a Bible reader app (reading passages out loud) side by side -- none of these combos worked when tried together. Either the sports tracker, or the music or Bible app force-quit, or sometimes both. I haven't installed anything new or out of the ordinary from my Charity 11.2 setup -- I used the same app selection and system setup on CROM that I use on Charity. I have no explanation for what could possibly be wrong, but my opinions would not be helpful in that arena anyway -- figured YOU would need to have feedback like this, though. (FWIW, I also still had some choppy video even with beta 2, but there was no discernable pattern -- sometimes it was choppy, sometimes not.)

With a very heavy heart, I uninstalled CROM-b2 during the last hour and reinstalled the latest nandroid backup of my most recent Charity 11.2 ROM setup. As I said, I LOVE CROM, and want badly to use it permanently, but there are too many mission-critical personal AND work uses for my MotoDroid for me to rely on a beta ROM right now. I will certainly revisit when/if you release additional upgraded versions of CROM -- you're certainly on the right track, and I think this will turn out to be an even bigger success than Charity ROM... :)

The apps might not be working right because they have not been updated to work with gb yet

Reactions: vastateofmind
Upvote 0
I have another issue that has developed,and wonder if anyone else has a similar issue or any suggestions.

ALL AUDIO from pandora, to youtube, to ringtones, to rooster alarm basically ALL AUDIO is playing faster than it should and sounds like the chipmunks. While it sounds funny, after a few days of not being able to listen to pandora, I'm starting to get tired of not being able to figure it out...Please help me fix this, any suggestions?

Regards
HOTHEAD

Upvote 0
HOTHEAD, I'm not seeing any of the audio problems that you are.
I've been running this since it came out.

I also have been running this rom from very early on. I'm not sure what started the sound issue, it may be completely unrelated to the rom. I am going to try a full wipe and reinstall this weekend.

This is by far the best rom I have ever run on my phone afa performance (battery,speed,stability). It would take quite a bit for me to jump ship. Will report back in a few days

Regards
HOTHEAD

Upvote 0
A while back I had noticed this issue and today read that Pete's GPA13 also seems to have this issue fyi.

Bluetooth in call volume seems set low. Put on your BT earbud and connect, hit the button to get voice command and if you then hit volume you can see it is less than half.

I raise mine and make or cancel the call, but upon the next instance of using the voice command, it's back at that default lower setting.

I had the same issue on PE with the bluetooth voice commands. The lady sounds really low but everything else is ok.

Upvote 0
i am still alive, applying for grad school and taking the gre has kept me busy the last few weeks

also, i broke my build and it's stuck at M when i load a compiled update - going to try and figure it out this weekend or simply start from scratch (wouldn't take that long to re-do everything, may be easier than troubleshooting)

Yea, that's the state of affairs - hope you guys are all well

Upvote 0
So as of last night, when ever I mount my phone via USB and then unmount it when im done, about 600 pictures get deleted from my camera folder and I ahve to re transfer them over from a backup on my computer.

Any ideas?

Happened to me once but was because I was unmounting without Safely Removing from Windows first, not the ROM. Had been getting away with it for days but that one time lost everything. Hasn't happened since I started Safely Removing then unmount.

Upvote 0
Ok after using this for about a week I love it, The only issue I'm having is once in a while it will randomly reboot. Also, I'm new to all of this and if it is possible how can u update the rom without erasing the phone? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated
Dont hit wipe and erase. It may give you some force close problems though.

Reactions: snipermoose22
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones