• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Calendar Sync issue making me CRAZY!

Brewder

Nov 27, 2012
UGH!

My S3 is setup using ActiveSync to our Exchange server. On initial setup, all of my calendar events properly replicated to the S3. Everything looks find. So now if I create a NEW test event... It too replicates properly to the S3... However, if when in the Calendar app on the S3, I press Menu | Sync, I will get a duplicate copy of the event... If I press Sync 10,000 times, I get 10,000 copies of the same calendar event... WTH?

Also, If I create a new appointment on the S3, it will not replicate back to Exchange/Outlook.

I'm about to toss this POS out the window. I want my BlackBerry back!! lol... ok, now that I got that out.. any suggestions for me?

I have already removed and re-created my Exchange account 3 times... I'm also running JB 4.1.1 on AT&T. I have also turned OFF Calendar sync for my GMail account...

//Brew....at my wits end!

When you press the + button to create an event, is it definitely defaulting to your exchange calendar? Not your Gmail, samsung or "my calendar"?

Only the exchange calendar syncs to exchange.

Remove any calendars you don't use in settings, calendars...

I tend to only have Gmail and exchange set up. I remove "my calendar" as this is a local calendar that does not sync.

As for the duplicates, not sure but obviously relates

Upvote 0
Has it ever worked? If this were a blackberry, I'd be wiping it and re activating it.

Might also be worth asking your exchange admin how many mobile devices are associated with your account. Sometimes if you manually remove the account, it can leave an orphoned object on exchange. Msy need removing at the backend then clearing calendarc data, accounts data via manage applications on android

Upvote 0
UGH!

My S3 is setup using ActiveSync to our Exchange server. On initial setup, all of my calendar events properly replicated to the S3. Everything looks find. So now if I create a NEW test event... It too replicates properly to the S3... However, if when in the Calendar app on the S3, I press Menu | Sync, I will get a duplicate copy of the event... If I press Sync 10,000 times, I get 10,000 copies of the same calendar event... WTH?

Also, If I create a new appointment on the S3, it will not replicate back to Exchange/Outlook.

I'm about to toss this POS out the window. I want my BlackBerry back!! lol... ok, now that I got that out.. any suggestions for me?

I have already removed and re-created my Exchange account 3 times... I'm also running JB 4.1.1 on AT&T. I have also turned OFF Calendar sync for my GMail account...

//Brew....at my wits end!

I had this same issue and I can't tell you how many times I had to delete the ActiveSync Exchange account only to add it back because of the dupes in my Calendar. You go into your Calendar Storage and delete the cache and clear the data and allow it to re-sync. However, having to do this every other day gets really old.

The solution for me was to download Touchdown HD to use for my email calendar, and tasks. This will allow you to delete the exchange account and your dupes will be gone.

I hesitated doing this because I wanted to actually use activesynch to exchange because I cam from a blackberry which was flawless.

Upvote 0
Yes.... issues since "day 1" (which is only about 4 weeks now). I really think it stinks to have to purchase 3rd party apps to do what should be natively within the phone OS.

It's really strage that when you add the Exchange account to the android, the calendar comes down perfectly. Everything looks great, it's just that subsequent add/changes/removes are completely non-functional.

Oh well.. I guess this is one of the downfalls of "open source".... sometimes the quality just isn't there. :(

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say that. I have many end users using Android devices whom have no issue. I myself use my S3 for exchange and it works perfectly.

Although I am an exchange administrator, I did not have to do anything with these permissions to get it to work. I entered the details and it worked.

If you followed the settings exactly as supplied from your exchange administrator and they don't work, you should log an incident with them and ask them what I advised earlier that you ask them.

ps, Samsung S3 is not open source

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say that. I have many end users using Android devices whom have no issue. I myself use my S3 for exchange and it works perfectly.

Although I am an exchange administrator, I did not have to do anything with these permissions to get it to work. I entered the details and it worked.

If you followed the settings exactly as supplied from your exchange administrator and they don't work, you should log an incident with them and ask them what I advised earlier that you ask them.

ps, Samsung S3 is not open source

Thanks for the response... I too used to manage several Exchange (and BES) environments, but that was many moons ago.. I now work in a giant company with 100k+ employees... We have multiple Exchange teams all in other countries.

Now I do have some contacts within the Exchange team, so when you say this:

Might also be worth asking your exchange admin how many mobile devices are associated with your account. Sometimes if you manually remove the account, it can leave an orphoned object on exchange. Msy need removing at the backend then clearing calendarc data, accounts data via manage applications on android

What exactly can/should they look for? Something within AD or within Exchange 2k10??

Upvote 0
I was thinking something in powershell, perhaps using:
Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics

Command, or something similar.

Normally I would test this myself but since they shipped out our exchange to Office 365 (NOT recommended) then I do not have:

1) A standard environment
2) The permissions required to use that cmdlet

But its a good starting point I think

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones