• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
I downloaded a nice app for Android to record phone calls:

I am using Google Pixel 6 with the latest updates. The app appears to work and produces a recorded call in the call list after I turn on recording during the call. But the playback of that recorded call is empty. Is some additional permission under Android required? Does Android have a new security feature that forbids any recording of phone calls?

The app hasn't been updated since Dec 2022

Why is Google blocking call recording?

Google explains that the prohibition on recording conversations is in place "to ensure the safety and privacy of our users". In fact, laws about recording conversations vary from country to country. In some areas, users are free to record calls, while in others, they must warn the other party about recording.

That's about all I can tell ya. Might want to email SMSROBOT LTD

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Why is Google blocking call recording?

Google explains that the prohibition on recording conversations is in place "to ensure the safety and privacy of our users". In fact, laws about recording conversations vary from country to country. In some areas, users are free to record calls, while in others, they must warn the other party about recording.

In what version of Android did Google implement the final prohibitions? It looks like they took out the main API in Android 6, but a workaround remained until recently. Did they block that workaround in Android 12 or Android 13? If I got an older phone I guess that would be one option.

It bothers me that Google looks at every possible use of a technology and just because someone *MIGHT* use it in a way that violates privacy, they remove it for all of the legitimate cases where it is just incredibly useful and not illegal. Even if you believe that this level of user control is warranted, they could have implemented a UI to record that required the person on the other end to explicitly approve the recording. That would have removed many of the bad use cases.

What are other phone-substitute applications that have options to record a call? Zoom has that. What else?

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying. I would guess it was Google's legal team (attorney) warned about potential class action lawsuits if they didn't do something about phone recordings

Someday when Google provides the AI for self-driving cars, their lawyers are going to tell them that humans can have accidents and shut off all access to drive the car manually. The world is becoming a police state but run by corporations and corporate lawyers. There is no room for human beings or human initiative.

Reactions: ocnbrze and AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones