• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera pictures not showing in gallery?

I am having a problem where I loaded pics onto my 8GB SDHC card and they will not show up in the gallery. Only pics taken with the camera and stored on the phone will show up. Same for music...anyone have an idea.

I'm running Cliq with 2.1 version (reflashed at Motorola) on ATT.
EDIT: Found that the pics wer stored in a different folder than what the phone pulls from. I switched them to the DCIM folder instead of thumbnails and it pulled in from the card.

Upvote 0
The thumbnails for many of my pictures and videos are just plain wrong. The thumbnail shows a frame from Movie A but when it plays it is something entirely different. The screw ups are in both movies I had taken with the camera and movies I had already downloaded to my camera from my computer. It makes the Gallery pretty much totally useless to me. Plus stuff just doesn't even show up. It's a mess I tell ya!:thinking:

Droid

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I know this is an old post but got to it as I had the same problem. I have now managed to fix it and hopefully it will help you and others with it.

Test if its a hidden file problem:
Install Quickpic, which is a great photo app, works fast too, and also shows you if there are any "hidden" pictures. If this is the case then you need to install Root Explorer (your phone needs to be rooted).

Fixing the problem
1. Install Root explorer
2. Browse to your picture folder (on the San Francisco it is the DCIM folder).
3. Long press on it and change permission. For some reason the change in permission is what prevents other programs from finding it.
4. Allow user to read, write and execute the files.
5. Check if your pictures are being detected now

Job done!

Hope that helps :D

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I know this is an old post but got to it as I had the same problem. I have now managed to fix it and hopefully it will help you and others with it.

Test if its a hidden file problem:
Install Quickpic, which is a great photo app, works fast too, and also shows you if there are any "hidden" pictures. If this is the case then you need to install Root Explorer (your phone needs to be rooted).

Fixing the problem
1. Install Root explorer
2. Browse to your picture folder (on the San Francisco it is the DCIM folder).
3. Long press on it and change permission. For some reason the change in permission is what prevents other programs from finding it.
4. Allow user to read, write and execute the files.
5. Check if your pictures are being detected now

Job done!

Hope that helps :D

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually been having this problem for a week or 2, and tried your suggestion with no luck. What did just work (for me) though is unmounting and remounting the sd card in Menu > Settings > SD & Phone Storage.

I have a Thunderbolt though, so it can be a different result.

Upvote 0
I found that new pictures do not regularly appear in the gallery as well. I discovered with OI File manager and adb shell that they are indeed in the /mnt/sdcard/DCIM/Camera directory. I tried a few of the options here, but even re-boot, and unmount / mount sdcard didn't fix gallery. What may have worked is to open Camera Pictures in Gallery, then select Slideshow. The new pictures show up in the slideshow, and thereafter appear as icons in Gallery.
Weird, and a PITA

Reactions: Aby112
Upvote 0
After alot of looking and reading this thread I fixed my phone. I tried factory reset, taking battery out, taking SD card out and NO LUCK... I also had the added issue of music not showing in music player aaaarrrgghhhhh

So, I connected phone to laptop and did a full scan and set auto error fix then left my laptop to scan my SD card which took about half an hour.

When done I went to gallery and music folder and what do I see????

Everything is there!!!!! and phone is now working at a stress free speed!!!

So damn happy.

I have a Samsung Wonder :)

I hope this may work for some others here

Miss Kat

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones