• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can Hotmail be Synced Like GMail?

mxsjw

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2010
I have 2 accounts set up on my phone, GMail and Hotmail. I've had Hotmail for over 10 years and do not want to convert over to GMail as my primary address.

OK, so GMail will sync up perfectly on the X vs. on the PC
Get new email, delete from phone, also deletes from PC
Get new email, delete from PC, also deletes from phone
Get new email, don't delete, shows up on phone and PC

Hotmail...not so much.
Get new email, delete from phone, still on PC
Get new email, delete from PC, still on phone (as long as it was received to the phone before PC deletion)
Get new email, don't delete, shows up on phone and PC.

Is there anyway to link up Hotmail to work like GMail? If I delete something from one device, I don't want to see it in my inbox next time I log into the other. Did I set something up wrong?

Hotmail is a POP3 account which means that mobile phones can only read the emails and not delete them off the server.

Gmail is IMAP which allows mobile devices to read and delete email from the server.

My solution is going into my gmail account on my computer and have it pull all my hotmail emails into it. All my hotmail emails are labeled by what email they are being forwarded from.

Reactions: llamakc
Upvote 0
Yep what PH said. Until hotmail supports activesync, which is supposed to be sometime later this summer, there is no elegant solution for this. When activesync goes live everything should be good. All contacts, mail, and calendar should sync.

As a workaround you can have gmail pull your hotmail into it, or you can have hotmail forward everything to your gmail account. The advantage to forwarding is it's faster, as you can't set the schedule for how often gmail checks your hotmail account. In order to forward hotmail to a non microsoft account, you have to run an easy hack that you can find with a quick search online.

Reactions: llamakc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones