• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why Can't I Connect my S23 to my PC?

I decided to link my S23 to my PC via USB, and it looks like it's impossible. The web says to find a Settings area labeled "System" and change the USB setting. My phone has no "System" area. I looked through all the settings, and I can't find anything that relates to connecting via USB.

I saw a bunch of nonsense about going through Microsoft, logging in, blah blah blah. I have no interest in turning this into a huge project. I just want to connect so I can delete a bunch of old files from the phone.

Nothing shows up on the PC or phone when I connect the cable, and I installed Samsung's USB driver on the PC.

Odd that there wasn't some kind of popup message on your phone or your PC asking for some kind of action on your part.
Regarding your WinPC, are you plugging your phone into a USB hub perhaps? Try plugging directly into a USB port instead. If that's not an issue, when you do have your phone plugged in, is there anything flagged in the Device Manager in the USB section towards the bottom? If so try reinstalling the Samsung driver, reboot, and try mounting it again.
It might make a difference to try using a different USB cable too.
Unfortunately when things don't just work right away when you plug something in, it might indeed require something of a project to get things straightened out. The benefit being a little extra work up front could result in making things a lot easier later, plus the more your learn about your phone's basic functionality makes it less of a challenge for future blips and problems. Or in other words, when you prefer to NOT do anything when you run into a problem like this, stop trying to service your phone and your PC. Take it to local shop and have them work out the problem for you.

If all you want to do is delete some files, you are adding a lot of unnecessary, extraneous effort. Samsung includes a basic file manager app to its devices, the My Files app. Just use the already existing My Files app to manage files and folders within your S23 -- using a local native Android app is a better file manager than doing so remotely using a foreign not-native file manager on a device running a different operating system. (Your phone runs Android and its native file system structure is based on ext4; your WinPC is presumably running Windows and its file system is NTFS.)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones