• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can i get the OTA over wifi?

OP, there's still a chance you can get it though. Back when I had my OG Droid, I remember during one of the (several) updates to Eclair, the update.zip file was posted on this site (and likely others). All it took was downloading and running from your SD card. I'm hard pressed to picture this update being any different, so I wouldn't worry.... assuming you're stock, that is.

Upvote 0
OP, there's still a chance you can get it though. Back when I had my OG Droid, I remember during one of the (several) updates to Eclair, the update.zip file was posted on this site (and likely others). All it took was downloading and running from your SD card. I'm hard pressed to picture this update being any different, so I wouldn't worry.... assuming you're stock, that is.

well if he wants to take that route the files are already posted in the All Things Root section here

Upvote 0
Guys,

I think that even a wi-fi only phone will get an OTA update.

Back in March, the Eris got a very unexpected OTA update and we were trying to capture it. My Eris had been deactivated (wi-fi only) since the DX launch day (July 15th) and I joined-in on the OTA capture festivities.

Now, I never did capture it for the Eris folks since it was captured before I ever received the OTA (a seemingly very random process), but some very knowledgeable folks knew that the DX was my main phone and that the Eris was wi-fi only. I'd be happy to do a test of returning my Eris back to an earlier stock state and see if it indeed does (eventually get the OTA), but I'm pretty sure it will. Lemme know if you really want confirmation.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones