• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can no longer see files under internal storage from PC

Olympian

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Hello,

I have an Asus ME173X that has been working fine for over a year now. However, recently, after connecting it as MTP to a laptop for transferring files, I could no longer see the folders on the internal storage (from the explorer on the laptop).

1. Asus tab has Android version 4.2.1.
Build number - ME173X_US_user_4.2.2.91525_20130711 release-keys
2. Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite running Windows Vista Home Premium
3. I have the ES File Explorer app as well as the default File Manager on the tablet.
4. I am able to see the folders on the tab using ES File Explorer as well as the default File Manager.
5. Using MTP, I was able to copy a folder from the laptop to the Asus tab under the top level just under 'internet storage'. I had to do this because the folders that I usually see suddenly stopped showing up on the explorer on the laptop. Actually i want to copy files to the folders that I have on the Asus, not to the top level.
6. The USB cable seems to be OK because
a. I am able to see the ME173X on the laptop explorer and when I open it, I see 'Internal storage' which shows how much free space I have.
b. I am able to use the same cable to connect a Moto G to the same laptop and am able to see the folders on that device.
7. I have uninstalled the driver (on laptop - from Device Manager - View - Show hidden devices - uninstall the driver and install it and then update it from the net).
8. I can copy files to/from the Asus to/from the laptop using the ES File Explorer (over the 'Network - LAN' on the wifi), but I was looking to use the MTP to move things faster.

Is there anything I can try to view the folders on Asus again? If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thank you

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones