• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can rooting help me run an iphone app?

axtelnp

Lurker
Jun 13, 2010
Hey all, I'm new, I've been reading about this "rooting" for a few hours now and it sort of scares me. So my goal is to be able to run an iphone app on my Eris. Is there any way to do that? And a side question, where would I find stuff to read that could help me figure out what you guys are talking about. I'm generally in the dark when I read on these forums, but I'm sort of intelligent sometimes, and I'm interested.
Thanks so much

I know this thread is a little old, but:
You CANNOT run iPhone apps on Android! Never!
An iPhone app uses the iPhone's unique features, it links against iPhone frameworks, it depends on the iPhone's hardware... How could it possibly run on an Android phone?
Well, right, an emulator. That "iOS emulator" thing was just a joke. Who is even capable of writing an iOS emulator? The one who owns the source code of iOS: Apple. And they are the only one. Unless someone writes its own iOS that looks and works like the original... And since Apple is not going to release iOS on Android, no, there isn't anyone trying to make the emulator.
And, by the way, what do you even expect an iPhone app to look like on Android. The same it does on an iPhone? An iPhone app just doesn't integrate into the Android phone's hardware. It's the same thing with Windows and Mac OS X. You can't run Mac apps on Windows, and you can't run Windows programs on a Mac.
I hope you understood that.

Upvote 0
I know this thread is a little old, but:
You CANNOT run iPhone apps on Android! Never!
An iPhone app uses the iPhone's unique features, it links against iPhone frameworks, it depends on the iPhone's hardware... How could it possibly run on an Android phone?
Well, right, an emulator. That "iOS emulator" thing was just a joke. Who is even capable of writing an iOS emulator? The one who owns the source code of iOS: Apple. And they are the only one. Unless someone writes its own iOS that looks and works like the original... And since Apple is not going to release iOS on Android, no, there isn't anyone trying to make the emulator.
And, by the way, what do you even expect an iPhone app to look like on Android. The same it does on an iPhone? An iPhone app just doesn't integrate into the Android phone's hardware. It's the same thing with Windows and Mac OS X. You can't run Mac apps on Windows, and you can't run Windows programs on a Mac.
I hope you understood that.

Well, Adobe has recently introduced Adobe AIR that will allow a developer to basically write his/her applications once and have them available/runnable on a myriad of devices, including iOS:

Adobe Labs - Packager for iPhone
Developing for iOS using Flash | Adobe Developer Connection

This would necessitate the developer of the particular iPhone app the OP was interested in to write it using Adobe AIR. Granted it will not allow an existing app to run, but it is a step in that direction.

Never say never...;) :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones