• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can Sluggishness and Battery life be fixed by 2.0?

so let me get this straight, the droid has a 550mhz processor and the eris has a 528mhz processor correct?
i understand its different architecture on the droid making it powerful...but the eris is the newer qualcomm processor also.
the walls are coming down if this is correct!

time will only tell if the droid or eris is the better phone. I'm banking on the eris cause htc's been in the game alot longer including thier winmob. for moto this is thier first smartphone and it shows in the break like glass feel the droid has. but from past moto's i've had the last one being the razr moto's not on my top 10 list for android phones. i'll buy a samsung before moto just cause past samsungs i've had where built like bricks I.E. throw it against the wall drop it off a cliff. dust it off and the damn thing still worked. i get the same feel of quality with htc phones.

Upvote 0
The Eris is better in every way. Sure, the screen is smaller...is it that big a deal?
The processor doesn't make a difference seeing as how the DROID is sluggish at best in doing processes the Eris can do at great speeds. Not to mention how horrible the Physical keyboard on the DROID is.

Haha, this guy is blatantly lying to you. I have both a Eris and a Droid, and the Droid is much faster than the Eris. Don't get me wrong, the Eris is my personal pick but anyone who says the Eris is faster is blatantly lying to you. It's not hard for me to slow the Eris down, play a mp3 playlist, log into google talk, and browse the web at once. Every once in a while the music will skip a little bit when a message comes in, things like that. On the Droid, I have never seen a slowdown when running multiple apps - it seems too powerful for the Android OS. However, the interface and size on the Eris make it a winner. I know Eris fans are upset that the Droid is getting all the attention, but theres no reason to lie to people looking for answers. It's a fact that the processor in the Eris is not powerful enough. The Droid happens to have a much more powerful processor and longer battery life. These are facts, not opinion.

Upvote 0
Haha, this guy is blatantly lying to you. I have both a Eris and a Droid, and the Droid is much faster than the Eris. Don't get me wrong, the Eris is my personal pick but anyone who says the Eris is faster is blatantly lying to you. It's not hard for me to slow the Eris down, play a mp3 playlist, log into google talk, and browse the web at once. Every once in a while the music will skip a little bit when a message comes in, things like that. On the Droid, I have never seen a slowdown when running multiple apps - it seems too powerful for the Android OS. However, the interface and size on the Eris make it a winner. I know Eris fans are upset that the Droid is getting all the attention, but theres no reason to lie to people looking for answers. It's a fact that the processor in the Eris is not powerful enough. The Droid happens to have a much more powerful processor and longer battery life. These are facts, not opinion.
It's not easy for me to slow the Eris down at all. I run all my apps at once and it moves without a hiccup.
Sorry, the DROID can't compare to the Eris. But if you're happy with it, then that's you.

Upvote 0
It's not easy for me to slow the Eris down at all. I run all my apps at once and it moves without a hiccup.
Sorry, the DROID can't compare to the Eris. But if you're happy with it, then that's you.

Again, the Droid has a faster processor. This is FACT not an opinion - check out specs for both processors. The Droid processor has been rated at almost twice as fast. As I stated before, I have both phones. Don't mislead people into thinking that the phone with the slower processor is faster - that is just illogical. Some people might want the faster phone, some people might want the Sense UI and the smaller size of the Eris. I'm glad you like the Eris - I like it too. But since the fact that the Droid performs faster than the Eris is common knowledge for Android fans, most people reading this are going to know you are talking out of your ass. Not to mention the fact that all of this information is easily checkable.

BTW, to the OP I think that HTC should be able to fix some of the problems with the Eris. I just wonder how much of an improvement we will see on battery life. To make the Eris smaller, HTC stuck a battery with 15% less capacity than the HTC hero in there. I've heard not so great things about the Hero battery so we will have to wait and see. If I lay on the couch on a saturday morning for a few hours, I can drain the battery on the Eris in 3 or 4 hours or so.

Upvote 0
Again, the Droid has a faster processor. This is FACT not an opinion - check out specs for both processors. The Droid processor has been rated at almost twice as fast. As I stated before, I have both phones. Don't mislead people into thinking that the phone with the slower processor is faster - that is just illogical. Some people might want the faster phone, some people might want the Sense UI and the smaller size of the Eris. I'm glad you like the Eris - I like it too. But since the fact that the Droid performs faster than the Eris is common knowledge for Android fans, most people reading this are going to know you are talking out of your ass. Not to mention the fact that all of this information is easily checkable.

BTW, to the OP I think that HTC should be able to fix some of the problems with the Eris. I just wonder how much of an improvement we will see on battery life. To make the Eris smaller, HTC stuck a battery with 15% less capacity than the HTC hero in there. I've heard not so great things about the Hero battery so we will have to wait and see. If I lay on the couch on a saturday morning for a few hours, I can drain the battery on the Eris in 3 or 4 hours or so.

I now have both and the Eris cannot keep up with the Droid. Still a great phone though.

Upvote 0

yes the driod runs a faster processor by about 20 mhz which in pc terms means nothing as to noticeable speed differance.

lets load sence ui on that baby and watch it slow down just like eris.

the only reason the droid runs noticably faster than the eris is because it's running a plain jane android os and that's what motorollas banking on you not noticing when you shell out 200 dollars of your hard earned money for a camera flash, larger screen, and a processor that's 550 mhz compaired to 528 which totals up to 22 mhz higher than the eris. so keep fooling yourself that the droid is faster.

oh and as far as battery life you try running an advanced ui on the droid and watch yours drop by 15 - 20%. good luck dude the droids not even in the same league as the eris till they load an advanced ui on and then compair it to eris if it runs faster than the eris at that point then i'll bow down and say i was worng.

Upvote 0
To the OP:

I had the Eris for over two weeks. Loved the size of the phone and the feel. Sense UI is very nice but the battery life was awful. A friend picked one up a week later and we both ended up returning the Eris because of the battery.

I went with the Droid (he went back to his ENv2) and I am so glad I switched. Compared to the Eris, speed is night and day. Transitions are instant now (from portrait to landscape) vs. a 1-2 second delay. Battery on the Moto is a beast....I get two days on moderate use. The screen is so much nicer on the Moto. Internet is 3x faster on the Moto.

The Eris could have been so much better with a larger battery and a better processor. I know the Moto us heavier but well worth the switch.

Upvote 0
yes the driod runs a faster processor by about 20 mhz which in pc terms means nothing as to noticeable speed differance.

lets load sence ui on that baby and watch it slow down just like eris.

the only reason the droid runs noticably faster than the eris is because it's running a plain jane android os and that's what motorollas banking on you not noticing when you shell out 200 dollars of your hard earned money for a camera flash, larger screen, and a processor that's 550 mhz compaired to 528 which totals up to 22 mhz higher than the eris. so keep fooling yourself that the droid is faster.

That doesn't make sense. You say load the sense on the droid and it'll slow down like the eris but we're fooling ourselves saying the droid is faster? Very contradictory. Fact is Droid transitions immediately and eris does not. I have both and I'm running side by side comparisons. You guys in here really love your Eris. Hadn't visited the Eris forum but this is pretty funny. iPhone type love.

Upvote 0
man do apple iphone ads trick you. Their commercials say they can receive a call and run apps at the same time. So I tested it out on the eris and matter in fact we can be on the phone and run an app in the background also. Every more reason to get the eris.

about the sluggishness hope they fix it in the update.

Upvote 0
That doesn't make sense. You say load the sense on the droid and it'll slow down like the eris but we're fooling ourselves saying the droid is faster? Very contradictory. Fact is Droid transitions immediately and eris does not. I have both and I'm running side by side comparisons. You guys in here really love your Eris. Hadn't visited the Eris forum but this is pretty funny. iPhone type love.

sense ui is an added interface not android. it runs over top of android not with android so the slowdown has to do with the added cpu useage to run sense and android at the same time. i should know how sense works since i have it on my G1. if you shut off the sense ui the eris will speed right up.

stop compairing apples to oranges when you don't know how things work. do some research before acting like an (deleted name calling) and saying that just does not compute.

Upvote 0
yeah we can run apps that do not require internet. being we are on verizon which uses cdma cellphone technology, you cant talk and surf at the same time. mute issue though.

on the eris you can turn off the sense ui and get it to run significantly faster. its been proven. what droid has in terms of performance is a more modern cpu architecture. a few mhz more which isnt much considering cellphones do not require as much power to run small memory apps.

im convinced the eris is better.
long live the eris!!!
...until i get another phone :)

Upvote 0
stop compairing apples to oranges when you don't know how things work. do some research before acting like an xxxxx and saying that just does not compute.

i find that rude what you said. Geez take a chil pill. sorry i don't sit on my a$$ all day and analyze to the core. I do have a life.

but you can talk on the phone and surf on the net. cus i am connected to wifi.

Upvote 0
i find that rude what you said. Geez take a chil pill. sorry i don't sit on my a$$ all day and analyze to the core. I do have a life.

but you can talk on the phone and surf on the net. cus i am connected to wifi.

didn't mean to offend you just was getting tired of the droid owners claiming thier phone was faster. this has been going on all day. i've been spending time setting up my phone all day while reading the forums and these guys come in and trash the forum i don't go into the droid forum claiming i got sense ui and you don't why come here and crap all over the forum setup for my phone. we all have android be happy with that cause sooner or later we'll all have root level access and all kinds of customization will be possible. JUST ENOUGH OF THE MY DOG IS BETTER THAN YOUR DOG STUFF PLEASE!

Upvote 0
Seriously...who cares? There a pluses and minuses to both. I personally think Motorola produces garbage and that's based on past experience all the way back to the StarTAC.

After a months worth of research prior to buying my Eris, I'm happy with my choice as it fits my needs. Others are happy with their Moto Droids. Good for you, glad it's working out for you. We're talking about cell phones here, people. It's not a dick measuring contest (which I would SURELY win ;)).

Upvote 0
Again, the Droid has a faster processor. This is FACT not an opinion - check out specs for both processors. The Droid processor has been rated at almost twice as fast. As I stated before, I have both phones. Don't mislead people into thinking that the phone with the slower processor is faster - that is just illogical. Some people might want the faster phone, some people might want the Sense UI and the smaller size of the Eris. I'm glad you like the Eris - I like it too. But since the fact that the Droid performs faster than the Eris is common knowledge for Android fans, most people reading this are going to know you are talking out of your xxx. Not to mention the fact that all of this information is easily checkable.

Wow you really take your DROID's useless processor seriously.
I never said it wasn't a faster processor than the HTC, so stop trying to put words in my mouth. The DROID does not outperform the Eris, and it never will, seriously get over it. You're misleading people by telling them the DROID is so much better, even though it's been pretty much proven that the Eris is overall a better smartphone. BTW, your lovely little processor is such a little amount bigger, it doesn't make a xxx xxxx. Every model of DROID I've used was so sluggish it's stupid. I've gone into it, killed all the running apps, and even restarted it and it was still a sluggish brick of a phone. The xxxxxx OMNIA performs better.
And that useless slide out keyboard? XXXX!
The virtual keyboard on the Eris is a damn dream and it'll stomp its counterpart every time.
The processor is amazing and it doesn't make a difference how many megahertz difference there is.
The ONLY thing the DROID has over the Eris is Navigation, and not for much longer.
The Eris is the better smartphone, unless you're an elitist XXXXX.

Upvote 0
The Eris is the better smartphone, unless you're an elitist xxxxx.
I thought it was more elitist to rationalize rooting for the underdog. I bet you think your phone is better than my old Nokia Twist, too... don't you? Let me tell you, the Twist has glorious, unrestrained bluetooth connectivity and Nokia's proprietary Habitat UI is what it looks like when functionality and artistry join forces and start a REVOLUTION!

Upvote 0
I thought it was more elitist to rationalize rooting for the underdog. I bet you think your phone is better than my old Nokia Twist, too... don't you? Let me tell you, the Twist has glorious, unrestrained bluetooth connectivity and Nokia's proprietary Habitat UI is what it looks like when functionality and artistry join forces and start a REVOLUTION!
Maybe you should read his posts, all the way through.

Upvote 0
Oh... no. When I said the Eris is the underdog, I meant in terms of popularity. It's a highly-contagious sense of competition. I ADORE Apple products and yet I find myself smugly snickering whenever I hear about some way that the Eris is superior to the iPhone. Of course, I'd have the iPhone in a heartbeat if ATT existed in Montana. Maybe I won't feel that way after a little while...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones