• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can someone HELP ME ROOT A HTC EVO 3D?

dburna74

Lurker
Jul 11, 2014
Hey guys, PLease READ AND TELL ME MY BEST ROUTE HERE.... BTW MY PHONE says on the inside its a EVO4G But its the EVO 3D, i have no idea why it says its EVO 4G when its clearly the EVO 3D with the 3D cam etc...

Im new here so nice to meet everyone..

Ok I just got a HTC EVO 4G brand new offline from a auction. Its the one that has the 3D cam on it.. Anyway Ive been trying to Unlock Bootloader and root my phone but i keep getting dead ends..

For example.. I tried going to Unrevoked.com and i download and plug the phone in it reads it a sec then says something about "Shooter"Not supported at this time..

So i tried revolutionary, Well they dont have the version of the Hbootloader it says i have on my phone from when i take out the battery then hold vol down and power.. I dont know if it matters but its with Virgin Mobil..

Here is the info it has inside the phone..

Says Android version 4.0.3
Htc sense version 3.6 and software number 2.95.652.5 71ORD

I dont know if any of that helps.

Also When i press Vol down then Power the info in there says

***Locked***
SHOOTER XC
HBOOT-1.58.0000
eMMC-BOOT
May 17th 2012..

Now i have no idea what the Above means.. Im gonna go try the HTC site to try and Unlock it. And give Unrevoked another shot.. But if you guys can please Tell me what the issue is and how i can get the S-OFF and root my phone, or send me to a Link that will work id be greatfull.

Update: Just tried Unrevoked again. Its words are "Shooter device is not supported at this time" then under it says " ClockwordModrecovery"

So Please help me out.. Ive watched youtube vids and It just doesnt seem to go like the Vids do.. And Im not sure i Understand How to get my Computers CMD prompt to work the commands on my phone? How do i go about making that happen? I download SDK one time and when i went to extract the whole file it kept haveing issues and wouldnt not let it work..

Im on WIN 7 btw.. Thanks in Advance guys and if you need anymore info just let me know

Ok another Update so I went to the HTC DEV site to try and UNLOCK MY bootloader, And when i download the zip file for windows to bring up the command prmt, It sAYS WHEN i try to extract it " files are having issues encrypting" Skip or keep going.. So i kept going.. So then it throws up the CMD window with a FASTBOOT.EXE SYSTEM ERROR "THE PROGRAM CANT START BECAUSE ADLWINAPI.DLL IS MISSING FROM YOUR COMPUTER. TRY REINSTALLING... WHICH I HAVE SEVERAL TIMES...

Also where it tells me to Hold down the VOL BUTTON then power, Then go to fast boot, plug un usb, then press on bootloader, it runs down a screen and says No image about 6 times running down.It does show my USB FAST BOOT CONNECTED but just doesnt let me into the phone..

WTF??

Hi dburna74, and welcome to Android Forums! :)

I've moved your device-specific query to the dedicated All Things Root subforum for the HTC EVO V 4G (the Virgin variant of the EVO 3D), where I hope that someone will be able to assist you a bit better. :thumbup:

In the meantime, you may want to check out some of our root guides. I can't personally vouch for their accuracy or up-to-date-edness, but I hope that they can at least get you pointed in the right direction:

• http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html
• http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/695161-s-off-root-fix-everything-all-in-one.html
• http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/546171-htc-evo-v-4g-all-things-root-guide.html

I'm afraid I can't personally help you with your issue (as I don't have any experience with the device in question), but I'm confident that some of our members will be able to get you sorted. :)

Thanks for joining our community. :D

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
The "S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One!" link posted above worked for me a few months ago. You really want s-off if you're going to be playing with roms. 4EXT is a great recovery for this phone btw!

Get rid of all the files you have already downloaded for the evo 3d and only use the files for the evo v 4g. There are both CDMA and GSM versions of the Evo 3d, you DO NOT want to be using the wrong files/roms! (Evo v 4g is a CDMA phone)

Upvote 0
Ive saved it to the Folder that Has FastBoot and adb (The code sent to my email) Bt HTC DEV.. Then i go past in cmd" fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin"

But it just says error Cannot open Unlock code bin.

When i saved the program with the fastboot etc in it, I just made a New Folder, How do i make it a spefic location.. ? Like for example

C:\ANDROID

OR C:\ADB tHAT way i can type it into the CMD prompt an it recognize it? Im thinking thats one of my main problems now as well...

At first i saved my new files to My documents.. Then i sent the ones with ADB &FASTBOOT to lOCAL DISK C:\

Where am i going wrong?

Upvote 0
Ive saved it to the Folder that Has FastBoot and adb (The code sent to my email) Bt HTC DEV.. Then i go past in cmd" fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin"

When i saved the program with the fastboot etc in it, I just made a New Folder, How do i make it a spefic location.. ? Like for example

OR C:\ADB tHAT way i can type it into the CMD prompt an it recognize it? Im thinking thats one of my main problems now as well...

At first i saved my new files to My documents.. Then i sent the ones with ADB &FASTBOOT to lOCAL DISK C:\

Where am i going wrong?

Upvote 0
hey everyne so ive been at it all day trying at the HTC DEV SITE TO UNLOCK my phone.. I fially got a program downloaded with just Fastboot and ADB instead of downloading SDK ..I got the token and Submitted it , and it sent me a email with the code, Of course i cant view it soo Ive saved it to the Folder that Has FastBoot and adb (The code sent to my email) Bt HTC DEV.. Then i go past in cmd" fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin"

Where am i going wrong?

Upvote 0
Ok, you are correct putting the unlock code into the folder with fastboot and adb. You need to set your command prompt to the same folder.

The easiest way is to browse your computer to the folder containing fastboot, adb and your unlock code. Hold the shift key on your keyboard and right click that folder. Choose "open command window here".

Then in command prompt type the command.

Upvote 0
BRO THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I Knew i was missing something,

I kept pressing the ctrl and right clicken the file!!! I JUST FOLLOWED WHAT U SAID THEN PASTED "fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin"

AND I LOOK DOWN AT MY PHONE AND ITS SHOWING THE UNLOCK BOOTLOADER SCREEN!!! THANKS BRO!! I have been studyn about how to Unlock BL for about a week but just attempted it today.. I never could get SDK to download and exteract correct. I found some program that Only came with ADB AND FASTBOOT.... Maybe i could past the URL and it could be a big help for noobies instead of having to mess with SDK???

Anyway Ok, Question Buddy,

How from here do i install a custom ROM? I was thinking of SLIMKAT? Or cyenogmod? Could you give me a link or tell me whats a Good ROM?

IM SOO SICK OF TURNING ON MY PHONE AND SEEING AND HEARING THAT DAMN GAY VIRGIN MOBIL RED SCREEN AND TONE ..LOL...

THANKS X1000000000

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Awesome! Congrats on getting unlocked. :)

Okay, here's the thing about custom roms.... You're on the 1.58 bootloader, so you can only flash ice cream sandwich roms. Roms like cyanogenmod require a downgraded hboot version (1.50).

You can't downgrade your hboot unless you are s-off.

So you need to follow this guide in post one. It was designed for the exact setup that you are on now.

So you already unlocked the bootloader, so one step is done, so just continue on with the s-off part!

Upvote 0
By the way, I just merged all your posts and my replies into this thread you created. I was answering questions in 3 different threads. It's too hard for everyone to follow. Let's just keep it all in one place, yeah? :)

Sorry about Posting everywhere, Im new so i wasnt sure if id get more help in certain areas..

Ok So now time to Downgrade an get S-OFF.. I hope this is fairly simple..

BTW I dunno if this means anything or not? But I went into the bootloader just to see it read Unlocked, and i decided to check to see what custom rom i had, And it ran a screen saying No image etc etc it went prettys fast, When I tried Using UNrevoked it said I had Clockworkmod , I was gonna go and see what it did by pressing recovery but it does NOTHING, it takes it to a Black screen with a Phone Laying down with Like a Green snyc over it then it goes rite on to a Red triangle..

So does this mean i have No backup custom Rom? Thanks again TTYS

Upvote 0
The quick text you saw on the bootloader is normal. It checks for the presence of a special bootloader flashable file. More on that later.

You have the stock recovery. The red triangle. That means you don't have a backup.

Unrevoked won't work in your current state. You need to follow the s-off sticky that you posted in. Step by step will get you s-off.

Also, use 4ext recovery. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones