• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can you retried data of a phone with a broken screen

A

Android Question

I'm trying to salvage the data from my gt-i551om the screen appears to be disconnected from the rest of the phone, touch and the three face buttons do not seem to work. the main body of the phone how ever appears to work the volume buttons still sound like they change the ringer volume and the key board lights up when the phone is slid open. just wondering if there is any chance of getting the data off of it at this point.
thanks for any help.

In a shop, the usual method is to connect the front panel of a "parted" phone of the same model (one not working, but saved to use the parts). In a home setting, unless the data is on the internal or external SD cards, no.

On the external card, just remove the card from the phone, connect it to a computer and copy the files.

On the internal card, connect the phone to the computer and copy the files from the phone.

Constacts should always be entered as Account contacts (not Phone or SIM contacts), so they're available on Google Contacts

And an old computer rule is that any file not backed up on at least 2 independent devices is a file you don't need. (Programmer humor is often backwards - it means that if you need the file you take the time to back it up.) Why 2? If a power surgr takes your phone and computer out at the same time, Dropbox (or the CD at your friend's house or whatever you use) still has a copy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones