• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can you sideload the google play app ?

apchar

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
I've got a Coby MID9742 tablet (Android 4.0.3) that doesn't have google play installed. I see in other posts that people are installing custom roms to get the google play app installed. Isn't google play just another app ? Why can't I just copy the googleplay.apk (or whatever it's called) into the /system/app directory ?

Hey there apchar, welcome to the forums!

I found this post on the forums, hope it helps :0

XDA is a developer community that holds a lot of information for technical issues.

You'll have to search around for it. Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

Sideloading is when you install non market apps. With a normal app the market downloads the installer file (extension .apk) and installs it for you automatically. To sideload, you download the .apk somewhere else (AKA your computer), put it onto your phone, and manually install it (there's an installation dialogue similar to the windows installer- it's very simple)

To sideload the market:

Download the matching .apk off the web onto your computer. (google search it, use sources like XDA instead of 4shared or other sources that could have viruses)

Mount your phone as hard drive (when you plug in the USB cable to your phone should give you the choice between charge only or mount as hard drive). Put the .apk onto the SD Card where you can find it.

Download a file manager off of Getjar, anything will work.

Then go to settings>apps>allow external sources. Assuming your device allows it, this will let you install non market/getjar apps. It might be disabled already, thats OK.

Find the file and tap on it. It'll show a list of permissions, or things that the play store can do on your phone (like access the internet, save files onto your phone, etc). just hit okay, or install.

After that it should install for you, and you'll be able to find play store in your app drawer like any other app.

The device manufacturer probably wanted you to get your apps from something the manufacturer had a deal with, rather than the market. A good example would be the Kindle Fire- amazon would rather you download apps from it's own Amazon app store than the Google Play Store. Therefore they remove the play store and install the Amazon app store instead.

EDIT: the guy above me just explained everything in less than a sentance lol.

Here's a link to the play store. Download the unmodded version. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1582422

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones