• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

can you use a sim only contract as broadband

Lozzle

Lurker
Sep 12, 2018
Ok so this may be a stupid question.

im in the UK and just moved to a flat. i currently dont have internet and have a finished contract on o2. It's 20gb a month on a Samsung S6 edge that i get friends and family discount on costing £15 a month.

im thinking 20gb isnt going to be enough for home usage aswell if watching catch up tv online.

ive been debating about getting a second 25gb contract to run alongside with the Samsung S8 or S9 as my phone is seriously starting to fail. it looks brand new still just with no sd card its full to bursting and keeps overheating or just freezing.

this would take my bill to around £55.

ok so my question is I've seen a Vodafone sim only deal for £20 a month with 60gb. i want to know can i put that in some sort of router and use the Internet for a laptop and my phone even if its a different network. i could then stop my S6 contract and get a low data contract with a new phone making it cheaper.

sorry for the ramblings but cant think how else to explain it

Yeh, you'll definitely need to check the exact T&C of this particular Vodafone contract, like it could be phone only, no 4G dongles or routers, no tethering, fair usage restrictions, etc.

FYI I couldn't actually find this SIM only £20 month 60GB plan on Vodafone UK's website. @Lozzle if you could provide a URL to it, we might be able to tell you more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones