• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Canada release date?

DarkSky

Feb 22, 2010
I can't find any word of when the S3 will be released in Canada (on Telus, specifically)

I have an S2, I just switched to contract so I got another S2(X) for 80 bucks.

I don't know whether to keep the S2X or take it back and wait for the S3.

???? Anyone know when it will be released in Canada, and if the Canada version will sport the quad-core processor? (I'm told it won't in the US)

If Telos has LTE, then you'll end up getting a similar model to the US carriers with the S4 dual-core processor. And your release date will also be around the same time. I don't think there is any solid information on it, but I wouldn't expect the S4 version to be out before July. Again, that's just my guess, and I think that is even an optimistic one.

Reactions: DarkSky
Upvote 0
Ya I think I'll stick with my Galaxy S2 + Galaxy S2X (which I'll give to my gf). Basically the same phone with bigger screen. I'd love the bigger screen, but it might not be here until fall, and the North American S3 doesn't have much on the S2.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
Ok, Engadget just released that the S3 will be in Canada on all the major networks this summer, so I'm returning my Galaxy S2X and will wait for the S3. I still have a Galaxy S2 which I've been using for over a year, so I can easily wait a month or two for the S3.

It might not offer much over the S2 as far as specs go, but it's the 4.8" screen I'd be loving, as I use my phone mostly as a tablet anyway.

The S3 sits nicely between the size of the S2 and the just-too-big Galaxy Note.

Upvote 0
Samsung appears to be focusing on the user experience with the S3, versus hardware specs that has been the main contention of high end Android smartphones. Only time will tell if it was a worth while venture to focus on the software rather than the hardware.

I'm awaiting Sprint's announcement of what will be coming to the Now Network, personally. I know I can expect the Qualcomm (QC) S4, and that doesn't bother me. My current phone runs a QC S3 and it is silky smooth, even with Sense installed. I am curious why the American / Canadian networks haven't announced what their GS3s are going to be like. It makes me wonder if they are going to have features the international version doesn't have.

Upvote 0
Further story on engadget, looks like pretty much all your networks will get the phone:
Samsung Galaxy S III gets a Canadian girlfriend as Bell, Rogers, Telus, Wind Mobile line up -- Engadget

Yah I saw that one earlier today and decided to wait for it. I just got back from Best Buy - returned my S2X (I still have my S2) and will get the 3yr contract promo for the S3 when it comes out. (I just switched from monthly to 3yr contract 13 days ago, which is why I got the S2X for $79.99... but soon after was the announcement of the S3. So I'll get the S3 this summer instead of the S2X).

As was posted 2 posts before this ^^ yes, Samsung seems to be focusing on the o/s end of it. Press release mentioned easier ways to share pictures, do social networking stuff, etc... but they could have done that for any phone via simple software update. Still, the main reason I'm holding out for it will simply be the bigger screen. 99% of my phone use is using it as a tablet. I hardly use it for voice. So the larger screen will be nice for running apps.

A 12MP camera would have been nice, but the 8MP that's in my S2 (and will be in the S3) is a great camera shooter anyway.

.. and as the North America version will only be dual-core compared to the quad-core elsewhere, there's really not much difference between the S2 and S3, aside from screen size and resolution.

If I wasn't able to get the 3yr contract promo on it, my S2 + S2X would have in no way been a disappointment compared to the S3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones