• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot access contacts

I received new phone and before Sat I was able to open and add contacts to the contact app. As of Saturday it asks me for permission to allow contacts access your contacts. I hit allow and then it says I disabled a permission. I checked all permissions and none are turned off. I went to Verizon Corp. store and they said same thing that no permissions are turned off. Has anyone else had the same issue and if so is there a fix? I cannot view or add contacts to my contacts app

Before you do anything that you think of or that may be suggested... First make certain you have your contacts already backed up.

If they are being saved to your Google account... Log onto your account with a standard computer and go to the Google Contacts to ensure they are all there. If they exist there... that should work as a backup... if not or you wish to make doubly certain you are safe from loosing your contacts...

Open the Contact app you are using and export your contacts to a file. Then copy that file to a computer or onto your Google drive ( if you have an account of course ) or somewhere in the cloud that you can get to later if needed to restore.

Once you are certain you have a backup plan... then reset the Contact app and clear it's cache. If your contacts are in your Google account... resync your account and it should repopulate your Contact app. If your contacts were not in your Google account, import them from the backup you made earlier.

If you use a different contact app than the default, the instructions should still be similar but may have minor differences.

Upvote 0
Thank you and my contacts are in there. When I go to view those contacts in the contacts app or when I go to add a contact from the phone is when I get the attached request then message saying that I have disabled a required permission. I have gone into every app that requests an enable of contacts and still does not work. I wonder if the phone needs to be rebooted?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160606-060427.png
    Screenshot_20160606-060427.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 251
  • Screenshot_20160607-075152.png
    Screenshot_20160607-075152.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
I'll start this by saying I don't have a Marshmallow phone, so I can't check this myself.

In addition to looking at the permissions for the Contacts app in settings / apps, did you also look at the permissions for "Contacts Storage"? Maybe that one somehow had permission explicitly denied for contacts.

Do you have any third party apps in settings / security / device administrators? It may be that there is some security app that is blocking access to contacts for some reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones