• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot connect my Nexus 5 to computer

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014
Cheshire
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot connect my Nexus 5 to my computer via USB?

Before 'upgrading' to Android 6, and whilst on 4.4.4, I could connect using a USB cable and, for example, transfer photographs to my computer.

It appears that I can no longer do this.
In fact, when I connect it, the phone shows up on 'This PC' alongside the C: drive, but when I click it, it shows as being 'empty'. Despite this, there are certainly photographs on the phone.

In order to transfer one to my computer, I was obliged to send it via e-mail!

Hopefully, it is some sort of setting that has changed due to the upgrade. Can anyone please offer any advice?

If I cannot solve the problem, is it at all possible to revert to Android 4.4.4?

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot connect my Nexus 5 to my computer via USB?

Before 'upgrading' to Android 6, and whilst on 4.4.4, I could connect using a USB cable and, for example, transfer photographs to my computer.

It appears that I can no longer do this.
In fact, when I connect it, the phone shows up on 'This PC' alongside the C: drive, but when I click it, it shows as being 'empty'. Despite this, there are certainly photographs on the phone.

In order to transfer one to my computer, I was obliged to send it via e-mail!

Hopefully, it is some sort of setting that has changed due to the upgrade. Can anyone please offer any advice?

If I cannot solve the problem, is it at all possible to revert to Android 4.4.4?
That usually happens when the phone is locked. Unlocking will solve the problem. The manufacturers do that to protect your data from being stolen.

Reactions: JBentleyR
Upvote 0
The default mode when connecting the phone to your computer has changed. It now defaults to 'charge only'. After connecting the cable, you should pull down the USB connection options from the top of the screen, and select "File transfers (MTP)" mode

Thank you very much, LV426. That worked.
Why should upgrading change my settings, though?
Still, no matter. This has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones