• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Cannot download due to SD card missing"

Max1988

Lurker
Oct 19, 2017
Hey,

I got myself a new microSDHC card (SanDisk Ultra 32GB) for my Moto G (2nd gen, runs on Android 6, not rooted). On my old SD card I was able to use it as an internal storage where I could save my apps, my pictures, all my downloads, etc. On my new microSD, I have the following issues:

SD card formated as internal storage:
  • as soon as I want to download something from Chrome, I get an error message "Cannot download due to SD card missing" - and in Chrome it's not possible to change default download folder. Since my phone isn't rooted, I can't try this solution here...but there needs to be something else - I have no idea why this is occurring.
  • I can't take any pictures. It says "Your SD card is full" although it's empty. Similar to this issue.
  • I can't access any folder on the card.
  • I can download and install new apps from the playstore without any problems.
SD card formated as external storage:
  • I can't download anything, same problem as above
  • I can take pictures without a problem
  • I can access any folder
  • Apps are stored and installed on the phone's internal storage obviously

I have already connected the SD card with my PC and formated it as FAT32 - still no changes. I am trying to fix this for hours now and even lost all of my phone contacts in doing so...so I'd really love to solve this problem or else I'll just return my new SD card to amazon and use my old one that did work properly.

When you formatted that microSD card as adoptable (internal storage), its file system format is changed over to ext4, to be in parity with your phone's actual internal storage memory, and it's encrypted to be used only with your phone (the encryption key being tied to your phone). So at that point the card is just 'melded' into your phone's overall file system, so the operating system just sees it as just another part of the overall storage space. As it's ext4 and encrypted, if you do remove it (generally once adoptable you should just leave it in your phone), trying to access it on a computer simply won't work out. And you have very limited access to add or delete anything on it as it's essentially just internal storage, not a separate, removable card.

As for formatting it on your PC to use FAT32, you might be better off just using your phone to format the card. Windows will format it to be optimal for Windows (take note of things like default block size), along with the proper file system type (FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation, while exFAT does not).

Reactions: Jfalls63 and mikedt
Upvote 0
An SD bought from Amazon. Possibly it's a fake? Suggest you check it with SD Insight, and if it says INVALID or UNKNOWN that's very probably a knock-off.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi
Thanks for the hint, I installed this app but it says that my card is from SanDisk...so not a fake apparently. Someone else suggested that I just might have bought a dud card. As all those errors seem very random, I will just return this card and ask for a replacement. I'll report back if this worked out.

€dit: yes, mounted and unmounted the card several times, also formatted it with my phone several time. Same behaviour.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones