• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot play FM radio in Bluetooth speakers/headsets

Welcome to Android Forums.

I was assuming that also. His question however was about controlling the tuner in his phone and these apps don't do that. They are capturing a stream of data off the Internet (and incurring a data charge by the way).

His phone has a real FM tuner. To my knowledge all apps that control the real tuner in the phone require an external antenna to be plugged in (usually the headset cable). I was asking if he found one that did not have that requirement.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I've been searching for a solution to this with my HTC One M7 and now my HTC One M9. I finally found a solution!! I purchased a bluetooth transmitter that connects to my phone using the 3.5mm jack. This allows the unit to act as the antenna. It also transmits the output via bluetooth which I paired with my bluetooth headphones. The device cost $30 which is more than I preferred to spend but it works. The device is sold on Amazon and is named Archeer 2-In-1 Wireless Bluetooth Audio Music Streaming Switchable Transmitter and Receiver With 3.5mm Stereo Output.

Reactions: antgaucho
Upvote 0
No transmitter is needed. Found the solution. If you plug in the headset while the bluetooth is active, the headset takes over; if you active the bluetooth while the headset is plugged in, the bluetooth takes over. Therefore, in order to make FM radio work, disconnect your bluetooth, plugin your headset as antenna, then connect your bluetooth, open radio, woolaa

Upvote 0
Sorry Samxcui your method does NOT work.

1) the phone has an actual FM receiver

2) this question does NOT refer to "fm stations" streamed over the internet

3) everyone now knows that SOMETHING longish must be plugged into the headset socket

It looks likely that an APP will be required
I saw reference to spiritfm which MAY be relevant. It's $11 and some reviews say it has stopped working. I have NOT tried it.
I think I will abandon this quest for a while. It's too difficult to get people to even understand the question. Sigh.

Reactions: Akamolik Tashfeen
Upvote 0
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I use the Next Radio app to receive FM stations and also would like to push the audio to bluetooth speakers/headphones. The Next Radio web page says that they'd like to support bluetooth but currently can't: https://nextradioapp.zendesk.com/hc...5389-Why-won-t-Bluetooth-work-with-NextRadio-. They don't get into detail about why but make it sound like an Android limitation.

Or could be an actual hardware limitation, like the FM radio chip's audio is just not connected or can be routed to the Bluetooth transceiver, it only goes to the wired audio probably, either internal speaker or headset. And if so, there's not a lot that app devs can do about that.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can listen fm radio station on your bt speaker wirelessly with blue tooth connectivity
1. Connect headphone for aerial signals
2. Start fm radio app & run your favourite station
3. Click on speaker sound, you will hear sound from mobile speaker
4. Now connect your bt speaker while radio is running on mobile in speaker mode
5. You will get sound from bt speaker once connected

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones