• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't connect with PC

Ezekiel 2517

Jun 10, 2016
ATM my PC is a windows XP machine.

Every time I try to connect it, it keeps searching all day for a device. Meanwhile, the S7 it's self brings up some message saying it can't connect and tries to send me to some android and Samsung webpages to download software that says it's not necessary for Windosw XP machines. Eventually the PC it's self will give me a "failed to install" message. And I have some important wedding pictures and videos on my phone that I am running out of time to remove.

I called Samsung for tech support 6 times and every single time I was responded to by some call center in the Philippines full of people who speak broken English. That's when I learned it's better to get tech support from someone who doesn't speak a word of English than someone who speaks broken English. At least the guy who doesn't speak any English will get you nowhere, whereas the people speaking broken English will communicate just well enough to talk you in to making things worse than before, which is exactly what happened. Fortunately I was able to undo the damage on my own. But the original problem persists. Any help?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: svim and psionandy
Upvote 0
I just tried using airdroad again. Almost everything I tried to do requires signing up and the app crashed, leaving up some icons that have to be clicked on but without actually being clickable, which locked me out of my phone entirely for about 5 minutes after which it went away.

Does airdroid require the PC to have bluetooth or wifi? Because my current PC is an old backup (my regular PC died) and was made in 2003.

Upvote 0
I just installed and ran smart switch on my PC. Now both the phone and PC don't react to the phone being plugged in at all, apart from the phone's charging icon and sound. Smart Switch obviously doesn't react either.

EDIT: I don't know if it matters but the "reinstall device driver" option in Smart Switch is blacked out and unclickable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you checked the phone if it's set to charge only mode? When you plug it into your PC, pull down the notification bar and it tap the connection notification.

It's in media transfer mode. When I connect the device, it makes 3 identical ringing/thumping sounds.

In a pinch you could copy the image to Google Drive or dropbox.

What's that? I have several gigabits to download, including a 4 gig video.

Upvote 0
It's in media transfer mode. When I connect the device, it makes 3 identical ringing/thumping sounds.
And then what happens?

Assuming you want to transfer files from your PC to your phone (not the other way around):

Similar to Airdroid, you could also try Portal by pushbullet - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pushbullet.android.portal
Really as simple as it can get.
  • Install the app to your phone.
  • Make sure your phone and PC are on the same network (your PC can be connected to the LAN using WiFi or an ethernet cable)
  • On your PC, go to portal.pushbullet.com
  • On your phone, open the portal app, and use that to scan the QR code that is displayed on your PC's browser window
  • Use the browser window to copy the files to your phone. Doesn't go over the cloud - and is fast (assuming your LAN has decent speeds)
In the meantime, do consider setting up auto-backup to the cloud. Google Photos gives you unlimited storage (not at "original quality", but unlimited at "high quality") - and it backs up automatically.

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0
If you don't have access to another PC then you might try to set up a network share on your XP box and access it from the phone with a file manager like X-plore. Or you could try creating a local ftp host and using mobile ftp client to push the files to your PC. There are options, but they aren't as simple as plugging in a cable and copying files.

Oh, and you might even download a LiveCD of a Linux distro, boot to that on your PC and then copy the files to a flash drive or USB hard drive.

Upvote 0
I think I found a solution. Fry's apparently carries a USB stick that also plugs in to the phone. Not my first choice and not an immediate solution (I already lost the wedding photo battle) but it's probably my only option until I can get a new PC.

I don't have an Xbox. Only a PS3. My "God of great vengeance and furious anger" avatar is from one of my PS3 games BTW. LOL

QM3gAaJ.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones