• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't format 128GB SD card as Internal Storage on 128GB Galaxy Note 9

klatu

Lurker
Dec 3, 2017
Inserted a new unformatted micro SD card into the 128GB Galaxy Note 9. Went to storage-SD card, and was only given the option to format the card which made it removable or Portable Storage. Looked on Internet and see instructions saying go up to top right 3 dots to select the format. No such option in my Note 9. Removed SD card and inserted into Windows PC and was able to format and access the SD card. It is not bad. (Class 10 v30 I U3). Replaced it in the Note 9 and got same results as before. It is recognized as Portable Storage.

How do I make it Internal Storage?

Higher end Samsung phones don't support formatting sd as internal.

Before you ask why, you'd have to ask Samsung to get a definitive answer (assuming they did reply). My theory has always been that they don't want bad publicity about their flagship phones' performance due to people using cheap crappy cards as internal storage (wouldn't matter that it was the user's own fault, the typical social media user wouldn't understand that). Providing an incentive to buy a higher capacity phone might have been a part, but I suspect that was a lesser consideration (in many markets only one model would be easily available anyway a few years back).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones