• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't get a GPS lock!

DMXXX

Jul 4, 2010
I tried to use the GPS feature today but the phone is unable to get a lock on my position. So I downloaded an app called GPS Status, which shows that the GPS detects around 5 satelites but no matter how long I wait is unable to get a lock on any of them.
I'm in Estonia and have an unlocked,unbranded Desire with the official Froyo update.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

I tried to use the GPS feature today but the phone is unable to get a lock on my position. So I downloaded an app called GPS Status, which shows that the GPS detects around 5 satelites but no matter how long I wait is unable to get a lock on any of them.
I'm in Estonia and have an unlocked,unbranded Desire with the official Froyo update.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

I had a similar problem on an early custom froyo rom, although my gps did get a lock eventually.
Not had that problem on the later custom roms though.
Try doing a full shut down of the phone & take out the battery, put it back in & restart your phone as this may help

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip but it didn't work. Same as before...

EDIT: Ok, I finally got a lock but I had to turn on 3G and stick the phone out the window. I thought that the ceiling might be blocking the gps signal or something. Oddly now that I'm back inside I didn't lose the GPS lock...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones