• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi, I have a very irritating and probably unique problem with my Samsung Galaxy A54 and I would really appreciate your help. It's still on the first ever version of system made for it, but if I try to search for a software update, it doesn't find any, despite the fact that for this phone are released around 4 updates if I remember correctly. Even in Security and privacy in settings I get a suggestion to update my phone. I tried many things:
  • Writing a support message in Samsung Members (I was told to use Smart Switch or to call the call center);
  • Using Smart Switch to update (it says I'm already on the latest version);
  • Calling the call center in my country (the person I spoke to checked some software information and in the end told me there's no problem and I didn't get the updates because they don't roll out in the same time for all users, which is something I thought about before trying anything, but not believed because I missed too many updates so that it's about different times of rolling out; as a reference, this phone was released on March 24 and I am still on the first version as of today, 19.08.2023);
  • Deleting the data of the app that searches for the updates (it's called "System update") using adb on my PC (you can't normally do that, because the option is grayed out in the settings);
  • Deleting the cache partition from recovery;
  • Booted in safe mode and tried to update from there;
  • Ultimately, doing a factory reset.
And no result. I didn't try to flash the stock rom using Odin or Heimdall, because I don't want to risk bricking my phone or lose the warranty, so this method is out of discussion. Does anyone have this problem (not necessary with my phone model, it can be any Samsung phone that was not released too long ago)? Do you have any other ideas on how to solve this problem?
I attached some screenshots with the problem and some software info that might be useful. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot1.jpg
    Screenshot1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot2.jpg
    Screenshot2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 69
updates are not just up to the manufacturer, but also with your provider. they are the ones that release the OTA (over the air) updates. if there is nothing coming from OTA and Smart Switch does not find any updates than there is no update currently for your phone.

curious what is your exact model number? for samsung it should be something like sm-and a bunch of numbers and letters.

you can just go to Download firmware updates for your Samsung mobile phone and tablet and see if they have any records of any update firmware.

Upvote 0
The thing is my phone is not carrier locked, so that's why this is a problem to me. The model number is SM-A546B/DS and there are 4 updates listed on sammobile (I actually checked this before trying anything in order to find out if I missed any update, and if yes, how many)
so just download the firmware from sammobile. instructions on how to install the update is on the download page. you will need a computer with odin installed and you need to enable usb debugging on your phone. just make sure that your are installing the correct firmware. installing the wrong one could mees the phone up.

Upvote 0
Carrier unlocked means you can bring your device to a different carrier, it has nothing to do with updates
though most carriers are the ones that allow OTA to their customers phone.

As I said in the post, I don't want to flash the firmware because of the risks of failure and the potential loss of warranty (I don't know if the warranty would actually become void, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way). Isn't there anything else I can do?
then you are pretty much done. there is nothing you can do. why do you need the updates anyways?

Upvote 0
After more researching and some inspiration from Pugs1957 from Samsung Community (thank you), I've come to the conclusion that my phone might have been flashed with a firmware used for engineering the phone, because this version is not available anywhere online, not even in Samsung's servers, the first one being A546BXXU1AWB7 (mine is A546BXXU1AWB2, only the last number is different) and it was also made before A546BXXU1AWB7. I don't know if this theory is true, but I will visit a Samsung authorized service and see. I will come with an update.

Upvote 0
After more researching and some inspiration from Pugs1957 from Samsung Community (thank you), I've come to the conclusion that my phone might have been flashed with a firmware used for engineering the phone, because this version is not available anywhere online, not even in Samsung's servers, the first one being A546BXXU1AWB7 (mine is A546BXXU1AWB2, only the last number is different) and it was also made before A546BXXU1AWB7. I don't know if this theory is true, but I will visit a Samsung authorized service and see. I will come with an update.

How did you obtain this phone? Best Buy? Craigslist? eBay? Facebook Marketplace?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
actually that was what i was going to recommend. if you have a Sasmung Experience store or service center, they can flash any updates for you. we have a samsung experience store here in LA and they are the best.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I don't know where you got this information from. The A54 and also the A34 will have 4 generations of Android updates and 5 years of security updates, and this comes directly from Samsung. Plus, this is off topic. I had problems updating the phone, I wasn't talking about the longevity of updates of the A series or about updates in general.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones