• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't get compass to calibrate

I got an Epic 4G about a week ago and was having the same problem until I calibrated it within an app called: GPS Essentials.

Within this app, there is a compass function that has a calibration setting. I followed the directions (involves rotating the phone on a few axis points) and the compass began working properly. I hope this helps!

You may also try (within any compass app) to hold your phone and basically move it around in the air in figure-eight patterns a few times rapidly. I previously had a Hero and had to do this occasionally when the compass got out of whack.

Upvote 0
I got an Epic 4G about a week ago and was having the same problem until I calibrated it within an app called: GPS Essentials.

Within this app, there is a compass function that has a calibration setting. I followed the directions (involves rotating the phone on a few axis points) and the compass began working properly. I hope this helps!

You may also try (within any compass app) to hold your phone and basically move it around in the air in figure-eight patterns a few times rapidly. I previously had a Hero and had to do this occasionally when the compass got out of whack.

I already tried waving the phone in a figure 8, but it didn't work. I'll give the GPS essentials a try.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I can't remember where I saw this or who posted it, but this is how I got it to work (thanks to whoever it was that did post this):

Go to: Settings>Display>Horizontal calibration

Now here's the tricky part. You have to calibrate the phone UPSIDE DOWN. I did this by finding a level surface (my desk) using an actual bubble level. Put the phone on it upside down, but with the "calibrate" button visible. Touch it and then wait for it to finish. Then you can go to your compass app and do the figure 8 calibration. That should work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones