• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't install apk files from SD card

nick16934

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
Please bear with me as I am a recent convert to Android having been with Nokia and their Symbian system for years :eek: It's soooo outdated compared to Android ;)

I have been trying to install both the Swype beta apk & the HTC keyboard apk files onto my X10 for the last couple of days. I followed the instructions to get the file on my SD card and when I go to try and install it (using Astro) the phone keeps on asking me if I want to install it . I have the option in 'Unknown Sources' ticked to allow installs NOT from the market.

I was going to format the SD card to see if that helps but I don't know if that will lose any system files vital to the phone...

Strange thing is that the ADW Launcher installed fine and I didn't get that from the market.

You have to be careful with both keyboard apps, because there are multiple versions that support different resolutions. For the X10, the resolution is 854x480, which is considered "WVGA" (Wide VGA, as opposed to HVGA, Half VGA). For HTC IME, that would be the highres version.

Also, the Swype beta 5612 just expired, so you'd need the latest one (7625). The best (and legitimate) way to get it is to sign up for the beta (Swype | Text Input for Screens) and they'll e-mail the right version it to you. It looks like the beta is still open.

Upvote 0
maybe thats the swype beta he got? but the thing is once you install the small installer.. it should be in the app drawer where you click to install swype!

and if its still not working id suggest you just leave it to the new update where the phone will react better and its a fresh install so things should work fine again!

hope it helpz!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones