• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't install offline Google Maps after Micro SD install

Hello everyone. I just joined Android Forums for this problem. I just upgraded to a Smart phone from a flip phone finally. ;)

I have a Motorola Moto e6 XT2005DL. Android version 9.

I installed a micro SD card today (SanDisk Ultra Micro SDXC UHC-I CARD 128GB Class 10).

The phone is just fine with the SD card...it recognizes it. I've moved pictures, videos, music to it. But now, when I try to download and install an offline Google Map, it will start downloading....it may even get to 100%, then it will say "couldn't download". (see image below)

No information (thanks Google). No reason why it wont work, just can't download. Before installing the SD card, I had an offline map installed (internal "device" location). But now with SD card installed it won't install on SD card OR on the internal device location.

I've tried clearing Google Map cash, Clearing data, then Force stop, then Disabling (uninstalling)/reinstalling...updating.....Nothing has worked.

I haven't tried yet, but my next step is to remove the SD card and try downloading offline map then. The phone is just fine with the card, but maybe Google Maps doesn't like it??

One of the those stupid pet-peeve irritations because it seems it should be so easy to do

Thanks in advance.

Wax

EDIT / UPDATE: Well, I'm now wondering if Google Maps itself is the problem. I have an Acer Tablet running Android 7. It has a micro SD card installed, with the Google offline map installed on the SD card. It's been working fine. However, I now deleted the offline map and tried from scratch to download a new offline map...."couldn't download" is what I got.
What the hell??

29VjOZL.jpg

Last edited:
is the card formatted? if so did you format it as portable storage or internal?
I figured it out. It's Google. I uninstalled then reinstalled Google maps. Then BEFORE updating Google maps, I downloaded offline map to the SD card. IT WORKS no problem. It's only when I try downloading an offline map with the latest version of Google maps is there an issue.
This worked with both my tablet and my smart phone.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't format the SD card, but it comes formatted for android (has the little Android bug logo on packaging).

I didn't re-format the SD card to be used as internal storage (for which there is an option).

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones