• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't mount Desire as disk drive

I really was surprised at the failure to mount the drive after the froyoo update,disk drive was not detected only charging.I read the threads here,changed the cable nothinng happenend,only charging.Finally i Switched off the mobile for sometime aaaand restarted it --everything was as before-working perfectly well,hope this maybe helpful to some of you guys
Some ports on the front of computers or laptops are not fully driven with 500mA current, so the phone will not charge AND connect properly. The same with hubs, if it's not powered, it often will not work. Extension cables can also limit the current available.

This is normal behaviour for devices that can both be charged and accessed like a flash drive, depending on the amount of current required for the device. A phone tends to draw most of the available current to charge so while a small device may work fine, a phone may not.

Upvote 0
Does anybody experiencing problems use a task manager?
Android is pretty good at managing memory and resources, so a task killer simply is not necessary and I always recommend NOT to install one as it tends to shut down services that are required and causes issues. If you notice when starting the phone, a lot of services initially run to configure the apps, retrieve data, show the weather updates, etc. Once those services are done, most of them unload and you're left with just a few services needed to run the current functions. When you open an app, a service may be started, but once the app is closed the service ends too.

The exception is a rogue app that is poorly written/coded and does not run properly, causing service or memory leak issues. The answer to those problem apps is to remove them rather than run another app to manage them.
:)

Upvote 0
I had the problem: please insert disk into drive G:
Even after I installed HTC sync Vx.x.33
Solution: formatted the SD card from the Phone SD settings. Restarted the phone.
All fine. Desire behaved like a normal hard disk.
Succes!
There are two things I now suggest to people who update their phone with new firmware or updates or having memory card issues:

1 - do a factory reset to wipe the phone memory so the phone runs smoothly.

2 - format the memory card in the phone using the phone's built-in format feature which prepares the card for use in the phone.

If in doubt, do both and you have removed a lot of potential problems.

Upvote 0
I also had the problem to connect it to my pc and use it as a removable drive. Sometimes it worked, then suddenly not anymore.

How I fixed it? Go to Device Manager (Control Panel -> System -> ...). There you see your different USB ports. Start with uninstalling the lowest mentioned USB port. It could be that you uninstall your mouse and keyboard, in that case only a hard reset will work :)

Even with the phone connected to my front USB port, it suddenly managed to install it properly (notification in the taskbar). The problem arises because of some USB port interrupts (too many different hardware connected to the same USB port).

All the best!

Upvote 0
I'm using the HTC Inspire (ATT port of HTC Desire) and was running into the same problem using the factory USB cable that came with the phone. I simply used the Restart option which closes all apps and restarts the phone. Plugged in the USB cable and it asked me how to mount the USB cable again.

I do remember going to Settings>Applications>Manage applications and using "force stop" on plenty of apps and I'm sure I turned off PC Sync.

Anyway, restarting the phone restarted the default set of apps and all was good.

Hope this works for you all that are using the correct type of USB cable

AJ

Upvote 0
Hi I am using a Desire HD and although previously had problems linking to PC's I have been trouble free recently. So tonight when neither desktop (Win7) and laptop (Vista) failed to link I tried all of the above USB swops, mount as disk drive etc.

Until I saw this thread and AJ216 entry I was totally fed up. I followed AJ216's suggestion and found loads of apps that were in header bar. I thought they were inactive but when restarted the phone instantly linked and showed DISK DRIVE as usb default connection. The laptop would now allow me to see all files and update my ereader books.

Thanks AJ216.

Upvote 0
The solution used by AJ216 worked for me. Thank you! Incidentally I was charging the phone when I used the Restart option and thus did not remove the USB cable. when the phone was restarted the drive immediately appeared on my PC. I've been cursing this new ohone for four days - but now I am happy again. :) Now I can see my photos!

Upvote 0
This is rediculous. I had this issue with my htc evo 3g on and off.

Now I have the same exact issue with the photon. USB drive worked for a few times, synced all my music. Now I try to add more songs and I can't get the damn thing to show up. Two removable drives show up in disk management but both say no media. Tried rebooting, didn't work. There is no sd card to reseat in this phone.

Finally, I powered it down and removed the battery. Turned it back on and waited a few minutes. Then connected it to the pc and bam there it is. Have no idea if the battery reseat did the trick or maybe the 10th try's a charm?

Upvote 0
Read most of the post on here regarding sd mounting. Had loads of probs flashed leedroid v4 2.3.5 . after root could not mount sd on pc
tried erasing and formating sd ,removed and refited, rebooted pc and phone, reinstalled drivers on pc checked task manager all failed. Was pulling my hair out but downloaded from market auto mount your sd card app. As the name suggests it worked a treat plugged in usb and mounts sd card at speed of light was well pleased.

Hope this helps anyone whos stuck

Regards first time androidforum user ......:)

Upvote 0
I have spent HOURS trying to figure out why I can't see the contents of my Micro SD card on my PC when I plug it in.

1. I have downloaded multiple softwares to my PC;
  2. multiple apps to my phone.
  3. Rebooted my phone by taking out the battery
  4. Reseated the SD card.
  5. Installed a bluetooth dongle.
Still can't see anything.

HOURS!!!!!!!!! No.... ALL FARKING DAY!!!!!

"What was the problem?" you might be asking right now...

Ok.. I'll tell you...

When you plug your Android into your computer, there is a green robot (giving you the USB middle finger) that you see every time you plug in. Underneath that little robot, at the bottom of the screen, there is a little grey button that says:

"Turn on USB Storage"

Guess what happens when you touch that button?

:alberteinstein:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones