• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't send email

Is she using the default Android email app that came with her phone or is it a third-party email app from the Play Store? And more importantly, which email service is she using?
Major services such as Yahoo Mail, Outlook, or Gmail almost set themselves up once you enter your user name address and password while a lot of other services might require you to manually configure some account settings. If she can receive emails on her phone but the problem is just sending/replying that's most likely an error in her SMTP server settings in the email app.

Upvote 0
Here are a few things to try:

1.Make sure you have a good internet connection.
2.Restart your phone.
3. Clear date of the email app. This will delete the unsent emails, but nothing else. Go to settings/apps/email/storage/clear data
4.If the phone is short on storage, that could cause the issue. free up some space and try again.

Upvote 0
Make certain that your settings for logging into your email service provider are correct.
I guess it is the proverbial "Chicken and Egg" quandry:
- if Lurker's like mine was working couple days ago is it the e-mail provider or is it the cell phones's system/settings?
I have [actually its my SO] Galaxy S5 that worked just fine up until yesterday - or so; this morning I am told Oh by the way I can't recive any e-mails; so I dig and try everything from verifying account settings and delete-recreate acount to no avail. I check on-line and the Outlook and Internet access works just fine. But the Galaxy's e-mail app says it can't connect to incoming server for security reasons; ougoing connection works fine?

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Is this gmail? Yahoo mail? Exchange account? I bump heads with Yahoo all the time with them changing server settings without notice and it bugs the heck out of me.

It is a legacy verizon account taken over by Frontier and administered [apparently] by AOL. I use and have always used the recommended verizon protocols, e.g. pop.verizon.net for Incoming [the problem child] and smtp.verizon.net ofr outgoing. They worked fine couple days ago and work on my iPhone; the Samsung says it cant securely connect with incoming server?

Upvote 0
Not sure which email client you are using, but make sure your incoming server settings are set to use SSL (accept all certificates) and port 995.

Thanks. Yes I've tried variants [port 995 and 993] of both SSL and TSL, even tried "None." I even tried the variants sent out by by Verizon "How do I manually configure the settings in email applications to send and receive my Verizon.net mail?"; Oct 18, 2017 [see https://help.aol.com/articles/how-d...ions-to-send-and-receive-my-verizon-net-mail?]

I've shut off and restarted, but no success.

I've tried IMAP to connect via AOL server, e.g. imap.aol.com/Port 993, which results in same "unable to connect safely" result.

I've deleted the account and attempted to recreate from scratch, e.g. pop.verizon.net/Port 995/SSL, to no avail. [Although I found it somewhat curious that Android/phone remembered the - supposedly deleted account- settings for the Incoming and Outgoing? Could this perhaps indicate that Mode needs to be changed Easy vs. Standard?]

Closure: Contacted AOL which said "this matter is from your mobile device. Unfortunately the version that you have is update and you will need to update your Android or update to a new mobile device. However, you can access your e-mail on your mobile device with our AOL mobile app which is free to use or into an external browser, such as Google Chrome at https://mail.aol.com."

FYI to any others similarly frustrated. This works just fine! Problem solved; but I assume something in latest [Android or AOL/Verizon] Update [?], e.g. Chicken and Egg.

Upvote 0
Blaming Android or AOL in this instance may not be completely warranted, this model of phone has barely marginal hardware specs to begin with:
https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/8dd24347
If anything, using a sub-standard phone as a day-to-day phone is the issue. Expectations of performance and usability need to be in accordance with the phone itself.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Blaming Android or AOL in this instance may not be completely warranted, this model of phone has barely marginal hardware specs to begin with:
https://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/8dd24347
If anything, using a sub-standard phone as a day-to-day phone is the issue. Expectations of performance and usability need to be in accordance with the phone itself.

OK, but I wasn't BLAMING anyone; just noting the circumstances of the sudden loss of connectivity.

As to the tone of the comment you may want [re]consider that "barely marginal" is relative to what it is used for. Make/receive calls and retrieve/send e-mails is all she or I need. I'll leave the latest and greatest to "young turks" setting the world ablaze.

Upvote 0
By barely marginal I'm referencing to a reality that manufacturers selling sub-standard phones and not clearly claiming them to be just that is a travesty. There are countless posts in this forum directly related to people, with similar phones, having usability issues and endless 'out of storage' messages doing just what you do, just basic tasks like phone calls and emails. So 'young turks' that require flagship models is a completely different issue, but there are too many people who buy these low-spec phones with expectations that they should function at a higher level than they are capable of.

Upvote 0
By barely marginal I'm referencing to a reality that manufacturers selling sub-standard phones and not clearly claiming them to be just that is a travesty. There are countless posts in this forum directly related to people, with similar phones, having usability issues and endless 'out of storage' messages doing just what you do, just basic tasks like phone calls and emails. So 'young turks' that require flagship models is a completely different issue, but there are too many people who buy these low-spec phones with expectations that they should function at a higher level than they are capable of.

:eek:Back in 2014 it wasn't marginal or sub-standard. As to the issue with "Samsung has officially stopped providing support for the Galaxy S5" is another matter. [for example see https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-android-manual-installation?]

On a lighter note, I would have preferred not "upgrading" to the S5 back then. But then again :thinking: if I had left her to using the antiquated - but functional - flip phone would have made for less than "happy" home ;).

Unfortunately, even my new iPhone 8 [replacement for the iPhone 5] was not without some initial setup/functionality challenges. ..but at least Apple helped/resolved them immediately. [Cant say same for Android/Samsung but problem now resolved so once again all is good]

Cheers...

Reactions: aboniface348
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones